"Intrastate" Team (Last Night) Against Zona Discussion

Washington will lose to Montana, in Seattle. Not great.

1 Like

It’s funny though. They didn’t look hard at other candidates when Coach Pete retired…maybe they should have. We’ve seen teams lose to FCS teams in the opener and then turn out to be pretty good. But this is a pretty bad loss. They go to Michigan next week too.

Yeah. That’s terrible.

Is the Arizona-byu game televised?

It shows ESPN but right now it looks like Sportscenter or something on.

Yes it’s on ESPNHD/668 on Comcast

Game delay due to an serious injury to a BYU player.

Crap. Who and what happened?

Yikes, I hope he’s okay…in two weeks.

I was watching Georgia-Clemson but That must be a hell of an injury.
Not good

Me too, and now it’s time to watch UCLA/LSU.

Seemed like a routine hit by a defender on a receiver. But he didn’t get up, wasn’t moving, and they were cradling his neck. I didn’t see a replay.

Player is Keenan Ellis. At least a 25 minute delay to treat him on field.

1 Like

Watching Washington State against the Aggies. Go PAC12!

1 Like

Zona finding rythym.
This could go well.

1 Like

Never mind.
Zona hacked up a hairball…

1 Like

I think that game was BYU’s wakeup call that it’s not going to be an encore performance of 2020.

Credit U of A’s new coaching staff for cobbling together a team with transfers & lefthovers and having their guys prepared to play, even if their scheme and details still need work. A regime turnover is usually really ugly in Game 1. We’ll see if they can knock off a team or two in conference, as they tighten up a lot of aspects of their game.

It looks to me like BYU is deep but not dominant in talent. First games look ragged, and they played the part. They held out some plays & players, we’ll see a much more sophisticated scheme, on both sides of the ball. “Game 1 to Game 2”

Pau’u is a very good WR, polished, physical, not a burner. The long TD was a duck that would have been overthrown, but Pau’u had separation on the CB/NB and a late arriving FS. Romney might play against us, maybe not. He got rolled up pretty good. The Nacua brothers were held out. Samson we know has had lower leg issues, I think Puka has hammy issues(?). We saw nothing from their TEs, which are good but not double-team level threats. There’s a WR Chris Jackson who looks pretty athletic, Keanu Hill is big, may post up our CBs, we’ll see how consistently that works, as it requires good accuracy from the QB.

Allgier is a solid RB, but I think we can bottle him up and keep him under 80 yards. Katoa can do some damage if the scheme breaks down or our DL gets manipulated.

Hall is a drop off from WIlson, but watch out for him taking off if we’re in man coverage on deep routes. I didn’t get the sense that Hall will consistently get the ball in tight windows, though he’ll make some plays. Doesn’t seem to scan a lot, will be subject to pressure and will tuck and run. If they play their TEs more, we may need to be in 4-3, or have a spy on the QB. We’ll see. Might be a game to play 3 safeties.

Based on how the last meeting went in 2019 with the Jets starting QB - turnovers are killers - you know Hall will be a bit averse to throwing into coverage, so expect a fair amount of short passing game to TEs, bubble screens, some schemed slants. (Then again, maybe the game plan will be to just play loose and go for it - might see some impressive completions, but the NFL caliber QBs we’ve seen lots of will string those together on multiple drives. I don’t sense Hall nor his receivers are that kind of talent.)

The Cats only got one sack, we knew their DL was going to be a weak spot.

Arizona made a lot of Game 1 mistakes on offense, but BYU’s drop 8 coverage left receivers open all night on the flanks, and actually the windows were pretty open over the middle. Besides the DB who was injured early, I think they played mostly Ones, didn’t hold anyone out.

Their punter looked really good, I expect Oldroyd will be playing against us.

Every game is it’s own story, so it’s dangerous to draw too many conclusions, but I didn’t see anything that by itself is a serious concern, if we make our Game 1 to Game 2 corrections and add more schematically.

5 Likes

Farmer Fred twisting his nipples would be the quintessential symbol of a Rajun Cajun. :joy::joy::joy: