Independence Bowl

Being independent with the resulting front-loaded schedule really hurt the Cougars. November they faced Idaho State, Georgia Southern (or was it Southern Georgia), BYE, and a USC team with a losing record doesn’t really prepare you for post season.

5 Likes

They are so arrogant that the excuse they lost was because they got a crappy bowl and crappy opponent and couldn’t get up for the game.

7 Likes

Fitting that they lost in the “Independence” Bowl.

9 Likes

More like they finally played a game that mattered to the other team.

12 Likes

Utah teams aren’t supposed to lose in Louisiana to teams from Alabama.

13 Likes

They are not from Utah, they are from Utah County…which is faux Utah.

13 Likes

They asked for it.

10 Likes

Stolen from @Steggys_Mixtapes.

11 Likes

I hope now the zoobs understand why the PAC12 didn’t want them playing in the Rose Bowl.

9 Likes

I had to race to bathroom, old lady pee-ing my pants and all, laughing, laughing, laughing.

4 Likes

The zoobs need to look at all the positives here. They rolled into Shreveport and went toe-to-toe with the third best team in Conference USA’s West division. That is something they can be proud of.

And think about it… there are only a couple mid-December bowl games so they got all the attention. Great for building their brand, win or lose.

5 Likes

Yeah, they only had to compete with about 5 other bowls today and several basketball games.

3 Likes

I did not realize that…which, although contradicting my pseudo Byu narrative, is funny because it further highlights that this weekend’s bowls/teams are ones that people don’t care about.

2 Likes

What? The Boca Raton, New Mexico, and Lending Tree Bowls aren’t popular???

2 Likes

How far do they fall in the rankings now?

Their best wins are Utah, Utah State, and Arizona State. Utah State won their game. If ASU and Utah win their games, it could mitigate their fall a bit. Best case scenario, I would say they only fall 4 spots, worst case of 10 spots.

4 Likes

A pretty typical pre-Bowl post by a smart Cougar fan. Ironically, he’s lamenting the unfairness of their having to be in the Independence Bowl.

1 Like

You have to know that’s not true. They beat Washington State (Pac-12 North #2) and Arizona State (Tied Pac-12 South #2). I agree their defense fell apart the last half of the season, but you aren’t doing the Pac-12 any favors by calling their wins essentially the worst of the Pac-12.

I think a more fair assessment is that they were helped by the covid year where they had an uninterrupted, full fall camp, followed by a full slate of games, which helped build confidence and gave them extra practice. However, as this season proceeded that advantage fell off, and combined with depth problems, they are no longer one of the better teams in the country. But we really need to acknowledge that at the time of each early game was played, they were one of the better teams in the country for about the first half of the season.

7 Likes

Because they beat PAC 12 schools? The same conference that didn’t get but 50% of their teams bowl eligible and had a losing record vs P5 schools. This was a baaaaad year for the conference. BYU benefited from that. They got exposed by a team that was third at best in CUSA.

6 Likes

This may bear out through bowl season, but I won’t take any solace in Utah losing because that somehow makes BYU’s season comparatively worse.

4 Likes