Independence Bowl

Being independent with the resulting front-loaded schedule really hurt the Cougars. November they faced Idaho State, Georgia Southern (or was it Southern Georgia), BYE, and a USC team with a losing record doesn’t really prepare you for post season.

5 Likes

They are so arrogant that the excuse they lost was because they got a crappy bowl and crappy opponent and couldn’t get up for the game.

7 Likes

Fitting that they lost in the “Independence” Bowl.

9 Likes

More like they finally played a game that mattered to the other team.

12 Likes

Utah teams aren’t supposed to lose in Louisiana to teams from Alabama.

13 Likes

They are not from Utah, they are from Utah County…which is faux Utah.

13 Likes

They asked for it.

10 Likes

Stolen from @Steggys_Mixtapes.

11 Likes

7 Likes

I hope now the zoobs understand why the PAC12 didn’t want them playing in the Rose Bowl.

9 Likes

My brother texted, “Was that a bowl game or a gender reveal party?”

5 Likes

I had to race to bathroom, old lady pee-ing my pants and all, laughing, laughing, laughing.

4 Likes

The zoobs need to look at all the positives here. They rolled into Shreveport and went toe-to-toe with the third best team in Conference USA’s West division. That is something they can be proud of.

And think about it… there are only a couple mid-December bowl games so they got all the attention. Great for building their brand, win or lose.

5 Likes

Yeah, they only had to compete with about 5 other bowls today and several basketball games.

3 Likes

I did not realize that…which, although contradicting my pseudo Byu narrative, is funny because it further highlights that this weekend’s bowls/teams are ones that people don’t care about.

2 Likes

What? The Boca Raton, New Mexico, and Lending Tree Bowls aren’t popular???

2 Likes

How far do they fall in the rankings now?

Their best wins are Utah, Utah State, and Arizona State. Utah State won their game. If ASU and Utah win their games, it could mitigate their fall a bit. Best case scenario, I would say they only fall 4 spots, worst case of 10 spots.

4 Likes

I’d guess low 20s but the truth is they don’t deserve to be ranked. Let’s look at what their season really was:

They had one meaningful win, and it was their second , beating Utah. That team was struggling for a variety of reasons but they played inspired football and hey they won.

All other wins have been essentially among the worst teams of the PAC-12, and G5 and lesser schools. Their last four games were against schools so bad… Idaho State and Georgia Upstairs Beauty College and a USC team so bad they struggled to tie their shoes before the game. And they nearly lost to them. Plus a bye, they beat the bye.

They beat nobody except Idaho State in convincing fashion. GASO gave them a game.

I’ve said it here a number of times, they are paper tigers. We were their big bowl game, the only important game they played all year.

But they lost to the 4th best CUSA team, and other than going up by 4 mid 4th quarter the game was really not on their hands.

And their fans as going after Tuiaki like crazy. There defense is terrible. But let’s be honest folks, Sitake came from being a defensive coordinator, same as KW. Do you think Utah will ever have a bad defense as long as Whittingham is at the helm? Absolutely not. So there is no excuse for BYU having a defense that continues to struggle.

And, they have A-rod as their OC. We know how that experiment works. Their entire offense was Allgeiers, and he is an AMAZING back. But next year… it may be rough for them. And then the Big-12?

Bold prediction here, but I predict by the end of 2024 Sitake will be fired. (And I like Sitake, but the fans won’t tolerate it.) They’ve deluded themselves into believing their last two seasons were legit.

8 Likes

A pretty typical pre-Bowl post by a smart Cougar fan. Ironically, he’s lamenting the unfairness of their having to be in the Independence Bowl.

1 Like