I need something that really sucks

I have a Bissell vacuum that does a great job on our hard surfaces, but does a horrible job when also using it on some carpet on our stairs and hall.

Anyone have a good vacuum they recommend? Preferably something that doesn’t require me to buddy up to a ward member/old high school acquaintance and involve me in some Utah county pyramid scheme.

2 Likes

my thoughts exactly.

My guess is the type of vacuum you need probably depends on the type of carpet you have.

I don’t know carpet, but its high traffic area carpet for a hall and a flight of stairs, very thick not too high, but apparently ideal to trap dog hair.

Anyone have a Dyson, Shark, etc and have a good recommendation?

Dyson
Works fine for a small home.
No shag

1 Like

We have a Dyson (gift from my mother in law). I don’t think it’s spectacular, given the price. We also have a Eureka which is much less expensive. The Eureka does almost as well as the Dyson. They both need hair removal on the roller after 2-3 uses because I have four daughters with long hair.

1 Like

I have two of the small rechargeable Dyson animal mini vacuums. They do a really nice job on both my carpets and hard floors.

1 Like

We use a shark cordless for hardwoods and a powerful Shark corded vacuum for rugs/carpet. Seems like the cordless are almost useless on thick shag. I don’t have the pet hair roller on the corded vac but wouldn’t mind it. Gets mixed reviews. Our corded vac has a pet attachment for couches, chairs that works well.

I’d probably go with this guy…$230 at Sams.

2 Likes

I have had a Shark for 6 or 7 years, and it’s a workhorse. I have used it to clean up construction sites as well as my house, figuring if it threw craps I can get another one for ~$150 at Costco. Incredibly, I haven’t had to replace it yet. And the suction is very strong on this one.

2 Likes

When we got our corded Shark about 9 years ago, it was a revelation about how good a vacuum could be. We had some Target Hoover POS before that. The Shark is quite good, and waaaay cheaper than a Dyson.

2 Likes

I had a hoover for years and years. Made the switch to Shark and now would own no other!

We’ve had so many vacuums over the years and never been really happy with any of them. We have a lot of hardwood flooring, some Persian rugs, and carpet in a few larger rooms in the basement.

Sounds like a shark might be the thing to have. Those of you with sharks, two questions:

1. are they good for all surfaces?
  2. any particular model?

Mrs. Guba has long been a fan of Kenmore canister vacuums. We are on our 2nd one in 29 years. The current one is still going strong after 12 years. I am not sure what we will do once this one no longer works since Sears is now gone.

1 Like

We had a Kenmore for a long time. It worked great. If you are looking for something light weight and maneuverable they are not the answer though.

1 Like

I’ve had the Shark Professional Rotator for the past 16 years and never had a single problem out of it. When I bought it I wasn’t looking to spend Dyson like money (not like I had that type of cash back then) and this thing is damn good. There are times when I wonder when it’ll die because I’ve had it for so long through multiple moves, roommates, and carpets/floors. I would definitely recommend it.

How about our men’s BB program? hehe

2 Likes

That’s a very solid endorsement.
I have been curious about Sharks for a long time.
We like the canister Dyson because it’s multi functional, but prone to wearing out over time

1 Like

Went with the Shark Pet vacuum based on recommendations here. I’m very impressed so far. It picks up pet hair easily.

1 Like