How will COVID-19 affect the 2020 football season?

Well, yeah. I’m saying the best case scenario is that they are merely carriers. The worse case scenario is if any of them are hospitalized or worse.

This is not helpful but it may not affect football and hoops.

2 Likes

I do not think there’s going to be a football or basketball season this year.
I would like that to be wrong - cuz I do love college football - but I think we might have poked the dragon

I’m feeling less and less confident.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/wilnerhotline/status/1280676710564814849?s=19

With cases going up and up, the probability of a regular season of sports is looking like it has the odds of a snowball in hell right now,

1 Like

If there is no season I’m assuming the NCAA will have to waive the 85 scholarship limits so schools can still bring in Freshmen in 2021 and the seniors won’t lose their sr season.

I guess that’s why making it a conference only season and moving it to February-March makes the most sense.

I guess byu may completely lose the year if all conferences go to conference only games. It goes without saying, but it sucks to be them right now, and always.

1 Like

Ivy League just pulled the plug on football (and all fall sports) this year.

1 Like

If the smart kids aren’t playing, the others will follow suit shortly because they won’t want to get sued by the smart kids :wink:

1 Like

I think football is done for the year. I’m really bummed.

well at least the best catch of 2020 by a WR has already happened

https://twitter.com/B1ackSchefter/status/1280957319426314241?s=19

3 Likes

Keep in mind the Ivy League has different economics from the big conferences. The Ivies lose money on athletics so cancelling sports saves them big dollars.

Many power schools make huge profits from men’s sports. Those schools will continue to come up with excuses to play until they learn that playing will be unprofitable. Remember: It’s all about the Benjamin’s.

5 Likes

Even if the kids were willing to play through COVID, we wouldn’t want to risk putting someone on a ventilator because of it. Half the fans would stay home anyway. Maybe just shut it down now.

3 Likes

Big 10 moving to conference only model this Fall. Just announced on ESPN.

3 Likes

Where’s my star?

1 Like

BYU season down to 10 games.

PAC 12 following suite would bring them down to 7, and SEC following suite would eliminate one more.

Holmoe will have some work to do…

4 Likes

2 Likes

My feeling is if there a season at all, it will be a partial season that starts much later than late August.

Perhaps we’ll see winter football (after last season where many of our home games were played in rainy conditions)

1 Like

Big10. Now it looks like the ACC is going to be conference only. I have to think the Pac-12 will be the same if there is a season at all.

1 Like