How will COVID-19 affect the 2020 football season?

3 Likes

LOL at BYU!

3 Likes

I wonder what certain ā€œindependentsā€ will do for games. If all P5 conferences go to conference only schedules, then Notre Dame will be down to 2 games and byu-provo will be at 7 games.

Edit to apologize to ND for putting them in the same boat as byu-provo.

1 Like

The ACC has said it will give ND all the games it needs.

There are other independents, though. Itā€™s really BYU, NMState, Liberty, UMass, UConn, and Army.

I think this is probably a fake account, but it is funny nonetheless. (I saw this on Facebook and took a screenshot of it.)

4 Likes

Fake or not, you know that the zoobs truly believe that nonsense. And assuming we donā€™t play them, they will declare victory (even though we arenā€™t playing them in November, when the game should be played darn it).

1 Like

Utah BARELY beat BYU last year?!?!?? What bloody game were they watching?!?!?? Iā€™d almost think they were trying to write satire which is unlikely. But I know not to take ANYTHING on that board seriously of course.

If there is one constant in life, it is laughing at byu.

2 Likes

There are times when a trip to Cougarboard is a must - this is one of them.

2 Likes

Life just went to the Fujita 5 level of suck for TDSā€¦

Today is a good day.

1 Like

Fun to see them rant and rave, but unless things turn around quickly, itā€™s unlikely any of us will enjoy live sports of any kind for quite a while.

1 Like

1 Like

Rocker, that post itself was inspired.

Thanks for gut bust.

2 Likes

I must admit, I cannot come up with a good argument as to why heā€™s wrong.

Time to face reality: ā€˜No one is playing college football in the fallā€™

https://sports.yahoo.com/time-to-face-reality-no-one-is-playing-college-football-in-the-fall-170634809.html

I would say three weeks Is unrealistic (Try eight weeks simply because it is what Army BASIC runs; and since we are looking to change behavior, why not use a program weā€™ve been using for a very long time that works). That said, three weeks could slow the advance, eight weeks might begin to crush the curve, 16 week likely reduces the risk to the point we might be able to do some of the things we used to do - like go on a vacation.

But since no one will actually do this, it doesnā€™t matter.

3 Likes

Until recently, I would have called this a VERY pessimistic view, and would have disagreed. But I have seen almost nothing in the last 4 - 6 weeks, that makes me think we have any positive changes coming anytime soon. I sincerely hope Iā€™m wrong, but Iā€™m very much afraid we will see a continued steady increase in cases, a continued and worsening uptick in hospitalizations and eventually in deaths, and we will ultimately go into the next flu season, in early October with health officials begging for much stricter isolation, government officials unwilling to discuss increased restrictions, and citizens polarized and arguing.

I was starting to feel some hope recently with things like the advice of the LDS Church regional presidency to Utah Mormons, Trump actually wearing a mask, and MANY articles like the one above with industry and health leaders imploring the public to take the simple steps necessary to control the virus. However, in reaction to each of these, I witness MORE resistance from those who have previously decided this is all a hoax, or its just the flu, or old people donā€™t matter, or people are going to die anyway, or the economy is being hurt more than the price of the few lives weā€™re going to lose, or i canā€™t trust the numbers, or jobs are more important than someoneā€™s grandmother, or they are being forced to give up some sort of meaningful freedom by wearing a mask, or that SOB Fauci lied to me in the beginning so Iā€™m not listening to ANYONE ANYMORE, or the deep state is behind all of this, or Russia, or China, or Korea, or Freedonia, or blah! blah! blah!

Iā€™m going to do what I have been doing so far during this pandemic, which is everything I can to keep myself and my family safe, to participate in whatever measures health officials ask to keep you and your families safe, and Iā€™m going to do it happily, because my family is important to me and your families are important to you, and youā€™re not such a bad lot; even @flyer, who usually has some decent jokes, and really just needs to loosen his tin foil hat a little. But mostly, Iā€™ll do it because so far, NONE OF IT has come close to being onerous. And, Iā€™ll do my best to pay zero attention to how much I should be worried about tomorrow. Iā€™ve been able in the midst of all this insanity, to make huge strides in restoring my physical health, so although itā€™s temping to reach for the ā€œcollege beerā€ mentioned earlier, Iā€™ll overcome my frustration and worry with an extra 20 miles on the bicycle.

If we have college football, that will be a HUGE bonus, but as someone recently said, ā€œSports are one of the rewards for a functioning societyā€. Iā€™ll be very happy if we simply get through flu season without this pandemic turning REALLY ugly.

Sorryā€¦ apparently, I needed to vent a little. @Buhbye, you should probably send me a bill for the UF.N therapy session.

2 Likes

not sure how legit this is?

From Jon Wilnerā€™s PAC-12 Hotline today:

The Greek Issue

(How will the presidents respond?)

We have identified Pac-12 footballā€™s greatest obstacle in the quest for a reasonable facsimile of a season ā€” at least, the greatest obstacle that can been seen by the naked eye ā€” and itā€™s a five-letter word:

Frats.

Fraternity parties threaten to crash the season.

The latest evidence ā€¦

Cal confirmed more than 70 cases of Covid-19 on campus and connected them to a series of fraternity (and sorority) parties.

At Washington, 145 students tested positive in what the university called a ā€œGreek Row outbreak.ā€

Those outbreaks ā€“ and those that are sure to come ā€“ make it less likely that presidents and chancellors will sign off on campus activity this fall.

And without campus activity this fall, there is no football.

1 Like

Frat parties, only slightly lower risk than gang led COVID parties (or other college age COVID parties that were popping up several weeks ago to try to promote the spread amongst ā€˜lower-riskā€™ demographics). Getting wild out there, folks! :slight_smile: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Univ. Presidents are in a lose/lose. They need to act like the students are athletes, but they need the money from football to run the athletic department. I did read an interesting article on how TV rights are coming up in a few years and if they could estimate the increases, it might give them better decision making on what to do this year. They could then think about if they should have a season, not how they can have a season.

There has been no reporting on it whatsoever. All the ā€˜storiesā€™ on it, including this one, cite Rudyā€™s tweet from last week and thatā€™s it. My guess is that thereā€™s either no substance to it or this effort is way early in its development and Rudy jumped the gun in the way he depicted it on Twitter.

I think there are unfortunately a bunch of reasons why football will not happen this fall. But this, as of now, is not one of 'em.