How many cataracts among us?

Just had a cataract replacement surgery. Since this isn’t the youngest group of UteFans ever assembled, how many have benefited from this truly remarkable procedure and how has it been?

My spouse, who’s close enough to my age had cataract surgery on both eyes, and (other than occasional dry eyes) has never been happier with her eyes or her vision.

At my last eye exam, the doc mentioned I had some early signs of cataracts.

4 Likes

I had both eyes done in 2015. Best thing ever. My eyesight was something like 20/400 and now it’s like 20/25 or so. I still wear glasses because I have trifocals and it beats looking for readers when I’m trying to look at my phone or something else where the writing is small. I do all my yardwork without glasses.

4 Likes

My canine friend has cataracts.

1 Like

Partly due to spending countless hours on the water surfing without any eye protection I had cataract surgery in both eyes about 2 years ago, I elected to pay out of pocket for the deluxe lens upgrade whereby I no longer need glasses at all. My ophthalmologist at Pacific Eye here on California’s Central Coast completed his internship and residency at the UU Moran Eye Center. Like myself, he is also an Alta aficionado. Riding up the Sugarloaf chair on a super clear day after the mandatory two weeks prohibiting strenuous exercise the scene before me almost took my breath away.

Like boyaremyarmstired, I wish I could justify cataract surgery for my 13 year old miniature dachshund/miniature beagle.

ADDENDUM: I am very grateful that I am able to receive such state of the art medical treatment.

2 Likes

I had one eye done and then the other two weeks later. The weird thing was the contrast in colors before/after surgery. The color white was a lot brighter in the eye that was fixed. The one that wasn’t fixed yet, white looked kind of yellow.

2 Likes

My wife said the same thing, two eyes done two weeks apart, and while she expected the vision correction of each eye to change, she was stunned at the color difference with each surgery.

She has since stopped complaining about the color the painters used in the living room and dinning room a few years ago.

Oh, and please, if I ever introduce you to my wife, DON’T mention this post :grinning:

3 Likes

Money talks.

3 Likes

Edit to say: Board mail an invoice and I’ll happily pay up in advance :grinning:

3 Likes

I should have known better with this crew :pleading_face:

3 Likes

I have bee warned by the VA doctors at my annual exams, that the steady progression of worsening sight means Im onlya few years away from cataracts, but hey~~67-68 isnt na OUTRAGEOUS age to have to worry about things… especially if one spent at LEAST 17 years staring at a monitor for work, on top of all the staring at one’s own computer at home.

2 Likes

I have a deal for you mate, I wont mention THIS, and you dont mention how stupid I looked faceplanting coming out of the Huntsman Center :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’m not there yet but I expect to be there someday. This thread has been very educational. Thanks.

May I suggest a exam at the Moran Eye Center? They are ranked top ten (10th) in the country and might bring more information to your condition. Cataract surgery is considered one of the more succesful procedures in medicine (along with hip replacment and surprisingly cardiovascular surgery) so, depending on your circumstances, you may delay unnecessarydiscomfort (or avoid unnecessary proccedures) with a second opintion.
I know many VA patient’s can receive care for targeted therapies such as cancer etc. at the University of Utah with appropriate referals.

1 Like