How has your day-to-day life changed?

I used to drive into SLC several times a week for meetings. It was annoying, time consuming, and a overall pain in the ass. Because of the forced change, I am going to require all future administrative meeting to be done electronically. I expect Council meetings to go back to being site-based eventually, but the days of road-tripping for work meetings is over.

1 Like

Same thing for me. Smithā€™s used to be our go-to store. However weā€™ve been doing a lot of shopping at Reams for the same reasons. Plus most of the time they have had everything we were looking for. Quite honestly when everything got started, I drove by our local Smithā€™s parking lot and the number of cars in it scared me away for a while.

I need a haircut.

2 Likes

Weā€™ve used the Smiths online ordering and pickup system and really like it. The website is impressive. I make my order online, set a pickup time, and show up. I stay in my car, open my hatch, and a Smiths employee loads the goods. Then I head home. I can modify my order up until midnight the day before pickup, and Iā€™ve never had to wait more than 10 minutes. Iā€™ve only had to go inside a grocery store once since March 12, for an emergency purchase.

2 Likes

We ordered 2 pounds of green beans and got about 15 pounds. Lots of beans.

We wound up with a single onion after ordering 3. So itā€™s not perfect, but we like it.

The sand and water opened up yesterday in San Diego and we were able to walk on the sand and I took a paddle board out this morning on the glassy bay. People seemed to be really enjoying the sand and water yesterday. They do not allow you to put towels down and sit on them, you need to keep walking or running. The purpose is to allow people to get out and get some exercise, not have gatherings. People were being respectful of the restrictions and they informed people that if they would be serious about the restrictions. There was a large police presence and the life guards were going to people who were laying on the beach to explain the rules.

Seems like a reasonable approach to me.

We do the same with Harmonā€™s downtown - very easy to use and professional. I have nothing but good things to say about the service.

Mostly has effected my youngest. Heā€™s a HS senior. No hanginā€™ with buddies, no baseball, no prom, no graduation, no senior trip, no pranks, no saying goodbye. Heā€™s a good dude so taking it great but what a total rip-off for these kids.

Plus Iā€™ll never see him play baseball again so thatā€™s a total rip-off for us. Grrrrrrrrā€¦

6 Likes

In our neighborhood many families have yard signs out, congratulating their graduate. I feel for the kids.

1 Like

I started with that Harmonā€™s because itā€™s where we ordinarily shop, but their website was overwhelmed at the time and I gave up. The Smiths site works well. I may circle back to Harmonā€™s now. Thanks for the tip.

Putting signs out is a great way to show support in some small way.

We have two younger children across the street from us, who are not allowed to leave their yard, to ride bikes, go for a walk, visit friends, anything. We felt so bad for the two of them that we put the following message on our windows:

The kids love it!

(Of course most of the folks walking by probably wonder whatā€™s wrong with us.)

3 Likes

The 11-year-old is still doing well, but my 6-year-old twins are in full-scale revolt over online schooling right now. Every day has turned into a mish-mash of begging, pleading, threatening, outright refusal, and tempter tantrums.

Itā€™s going to be a really long last few weeks of school.

3 Likes

It has been tough on my college senior as well. No Senior Design Day at the U, Swim Club meets cancelled, final banquet and awards cancelled, trip to nationals cancelled, his favorite fun class about Lord of the Rings had the great class discussion fizzle online, etc. One sad thing is that for 4 years they have had a group of kids post up at a table in the library and different people come and go throughout the day but they kept someone at the table most of the day. They kept track of the goings on using a group chat on GroupMe called #ClubLib. Sadly ClubLib died and a bunch of those kids wonā€™t ever see each other again.

2 Likes

On April 2, I took a picture of my odometer because it was at 44,444 (which I found amusing, for some reason). Had to venture out and pick up some new contacts today, and itā€™s sitting at at 44,460.

Iā€™ve driven 16 miles total in the past 4 weeks, down from commuting around 30 miles/day.

4 Likes

I am very depressed today. The sand and water opened here in San Diego on Monday and everything I saw when we walked on the beach at Mission Beach and Pacific Beach and took our paddle boards out looked good to me, and I have been a diligent social distancer and stay at home person. Unfortunately, I read reports of significant problems in LA and Ventura counties and it looks like the sand and water will again get closed on Friday.

1 Like

What part of San Diego? Many years ago I did my two-years-culturally-mandated-coming-of-age event in your beautiful city.

We live on a court north of Belmont Park (the roller coaster).

1 Like

My kids and I LOVE Belmont and Mission Beach! We came down to see the last night of the North American leg of the U2 Joshua Tree 30 year anniversary concert a few years back, and since we arrived a few hours early we stopped at the beach. My daughter found a sand dollar and traded it to me for a ride on the roller coaster there (since I was not going to pay for rides after having to pay for everything else). Maybe if they are here with me in Yuma when restrictions are lifted we will take the drive over to spend an afternoon thereā€¦

3 Likes