Happy Thanksgiving to all of you punks

We have a lot to be thankful for, and I am reminded of that fact every single day. So enjoy the day with family or friends, and forget about the annoying stuff in life for the rest of the day.

I am thankful for all the snarky ā– ā– ā– ā–  I get entertained with around here.

That said, @LAUteā€™s post of the Whole Foods fresh produce section triggered a flashback to W Kamau Bellā€™s stand up show where he was talking about the Berkeley Farmerā€™s Market being closed to prep for possible protests due to a couple of ā€œbeyond conservativeā€ speakers coming to present at Cal.

If you havenā€™t watched it, itā€™s worth the time; and you will have a whole new perspective on Whole Foods. :joy::joy::joy::joy:

Itā€™s on Netflix

3 Likes

I love a day to reflect and he thankful. Gratitude is a gift that keeps giving.

I love a day to focus on family, friends, and good food. A feast for the ā€˜harvestā€™.

I love the intent for unity when Lincoln made it a holiday to try to unite and heal a broken nation.

I like to focus on that and not on the Thanksgiving myth and fabricated story of the ā€˜1st Thanksgivingā€™ (google it). I do like that most of the foods we enjoy on this day are ones the Wampanoags would eat.

2 Likes

This seems like a good place to post the greatest Thanksgiving song ever.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

6 Likes

You know the Carterā€™s found a copy of that song in the Nixon Whitehouse, and it had been opened.

Gap in the Nixon Tapes - 18 minutes 22 seconds

Aliceā€™s Restaurant- 18 minutes 22 seconds

:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

3 Likes

I will say though, yā€™all are on my list of ā€˜thankful forā€™ā€¦ Maybe this became my echo chamber, but talking through covid and our beloved Utes overcome a lot this year and really grow up has been great. Itā€™s been a community that has helped me cope. And itā€™s been one of my favorite seasons ever.

5 Likes

A great read on this day in this regardā€¦and a wish that we can find leaders with this kind of wisdom and integrity.

He saw Thanksgiving in particular as a powerful impetus to restoring national unity on the basis of human justice. On October 3, 1863, shortly after receiving Haleā€™s letter, Lincoln declared the last Thursday of November as the day when God would be thanked ā€œas with one heart and one voice by the whole American People,ā€ including ā€œmy fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands.ā€ Lincoln asked for ā€œthe Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquility and Union.ā€

4 Likes

Let us be of grace.
May we all help to make each other stronger, smarter and kinder

3 Likes

A few years ago I read an article that said up until around 1900 the preferred meat eaten for Thanksgiving was raccoon. In fact one president was given a raccoon to be eaten at Thanksgiving and instead he kept it as a pet.

I think I would prefer turkey to raccoon. Maybe some Bama fans can pipe up and let us know how raccoon tastes.

5 Likes

Iā€™m not buying into this alternative, until someone with experience lets me know the best wine pairing. There are literally zero recommendations anywhere online - itā€™s as though wine drinkers have never eaten raccoon.

And if all we get from the Alabama crowd are beer recommendations, Iā€™m calling BS! Iā€™m certain that no US President ever had a Thanksgiving meal in the White House without an appropriate wine.

1 Like