Good stuff in the community - theatre, concerts, festivals, etc

I don’t know if there is a thread somewhere dedicated to community events like the theatre, concerts, etc. If there is I apologize for the duplication.

Saw “To Kill a Mockingbird” last night at the Eccles. First published in 1960, it relates a story from the 1930’s. I’m sure that the author hoped to paint a picture in 1960 of a not uncommon racist community in the south from the 1930’s. What it illustrated to me in 2022 is that while there has been some progress in equal justice over the decades we still have a long way to go. It was also depressing to realize that we still have many of the same problems with race as existed in the 30’s and the 60’s. Unfortunately, those who have racist beliefs have become empowered to act on those beliefs over the past decade and will continue to do so moving forward. The play itself was well acted. Richard Thomas (John-Boy Walton) was excellent as Atticus Finch. The actors who played Scout, Jem and Dil? were delightful. If you have a chance to see it, do so.
We are very fortunate to have access to fine theatre productions on all levels from PTC, Hale Theatre (which has improved greatly over the years) and now Eccles. We get great concerts and have some good local music.

I was there last night as well. It was an excellent performance. It really hit me hard how much further was have to go as a society.

2 Likes

Saw this in Nashville recently with the same cast. Other than the weird accent (not southern) from Scout it was great. Kind of jealous you guys have “Unsinkable Molly Brown” being performed now or soon in SLC. Weirdly, we fly to NYC for about 15 shows a year.

2 Likes