Garage door help

Garage door has been on the fritz. Opens fine. Starts to close, stops, bounces back, light flashes. Replaced the sensors, same issue. Increased the close force to max. Door glides with no resistance when I do it manually. Changed light bulbs (sometimes there is interference). I can override and close by holding the door switch. It’s just the 3rd garage that my kids use to get their bikes out for school and I kind of find it amusing to see them struggle with it, but probably time to fix.

Any ideas? I saw one about a potential cold solder break, but last ditch would be to take it apart and check all solders on the circuits.

Count the flashes, on Liftmaster’s that tells you what the problem us.

2 Likes

Usually it means the safety sensor is stopping the door from closing. It is a safety feature. The laser sensors can become misaligned which won’t allow the door to close. Check to see if the lights are in sync.

1 Like

Try putting it in a bowl of rice?

Like the others said, its probably one of the sensors, or it could be out of alignment and its detecting its hitting something because fo the resistance. Sounds like a sensor though.

2 Likes

If all else fails, call Brandon at 8015582473. He takes care of our garage door problems when they arise. Great guy.

1 Like

Thanks all. I replaced the old sensors with new ones and they are aligned (green light on, goes off when I block it). I increased the force. I think it might be the circuit and it thinks there is either resistance or the sensor is blocked but really is not (I get 4 blinks meaning the computer is telling it the sensors are blocked). I also tried re-seating the wires. Stupid engineering degree from the U - why don’t they have a house maintenance course? Too bad Brandon doesn’t make calls to CO :slight_smile:

I’ll try a couple new things but might just replace the dang thing.

Yea, at some point you just assume it’s pea brain is fried and replace it.

1 Like

Tighten all bolts/nuts on door hinges, rollers,etc

2 Likes

I had a similar issue and it turned out is was an issue with the motherboard. The dealer was able to just replace just the motherboard for a fraction of the price of replacing the whole motor.

Make sure the chain is not sagging. If it is not tight, it may send a message to the sensor when it closes if it tugs that something is in the way of the garage door when it closes. There should be a bolt on the track closest to the garage door that can make it tighter or looser.
I

It also depends on how old it is. Over 10 years old- replace it.

1 Like