Game time and channel change

HE GAME
The University of Utah (0-0) will take on the Arizona Wildcats (0-0) to kick off the 2020 season on Saturday, Nov. 7 inside Rice-Eccles Stadium. The game is set for a 1:30 p.m. MT kick on ESPN2. Search #GOUTES and #UBOYZ on social media for conversation about Utah Football this season.

If we ever have to change our name, I used to be for the Moose or Cutthroat. Now? I want to be called:

THE FOOTBALL TEAM OF UTAH. ha ha

Nah, we go full 90s and call ourselves the raptors.

2 Likes

Worst team name decision since the wizards.

Red Rocks if anything.

My dude, the state has a damn dinosaur named after it. We’re going full dinosaur.

3 Likes

It’s embarrassing that the suggestion even exists. I’m gonna flag that post.

1 Like

Gymnastics team’s already the Red Rocks. Too many associations with the amphitheater in Colorado…

How about Utah surly old curmudgeons?!

6 Likes

Exactly.

This is THE ONLY CHOICE. I really have no idea where anyone else gets the idea that Utah Raptors isn’t absolutely PERFECT.

2 Likes

I agree with Sancho, raptors is a terrible name.

1 Like

Easily one of the worst names in the NBA (can’t say worst because of the Wizards). They named their team because of a popular movie that is now 20 years old.

It’s still Red Rocks. Isotopes is great for the Simpsons though.

In the one Simpsons episode, the Springfield Isotopes were destined to move to that city before Homer caught onto it and did his protest. Ironically Albuquerque’s baseball team is now called the Isotopes.

2 Likes

Maybe, but so far, it’s the frontrunner. No one has come up with anything better. Moose, Trout, Pioneers, Raptors, etc.

Make your list of criteria (coolness, originality, mascot potential, local ties, etc), and Red Rocks will beat all the other contenders.

You guys who hate my name are missing out on the comedy and pure vitriol it would create.

Football fan: Who are you guys playing this weekend?

BYU Fan: The football team of Utah.

Football fan: Huh? I thought you guys were in Utah.

BYU: We are, but we are playing THE football team. We are the other team in Utah that plays football. And not as well.

It would be fantastic.

Make the criteria, and I’ll run the numbers. I feel confidant.

Yeah, that. The NBA is dead to me and has been since the late 90s - the Raptors idea has nothing to do with Toronto or a movie, and 100% to do with the Utahraptor itself. It’s a badass predator, has no woke issues and is local. It truly is perfect.

And, for a time, we could still use swoop as birds of prey are called raptors.

It’s local in the sense that they were here…and everywhere else. Like Hawks or Bulldogs. Nobody cares that this one type of raptor was discovered in Utah. So, when you give me the criteria, this can score 5/10 on the uniquely local scale.

Jurassic Park put raptors on the map, and the movies are fun. But it’s a super lame mascot choice, as evidenced by the NBA team.