For those who like to sing, especially in choirs

I like singing in choirs, especially at Christmas, and after a couple of years off I just started practicing with the Avenues Choir, a local non-church group that puts on a concert every Christmas on the U campus. I’m getting back into it, and being reminded of how much I enjoy doing this sort of thing. I ran across this article, which will interest those who, like me, enjoy trying to stay on key with a bunch of other people.

There really is something to it. Feeling the vibrations of other singers’ voices through one’s own chest is amazing

1 Like

I totally agree. After many years away from church choir I rejoined two years ago and I love it. What I particularly like is it makes me pay attention to real music structure and theory. Playing in garage cover bands doesn’t do that, in fact I have usually been the one trying to push music structure in those. (Once I asked if they wanted me to sing the 3rd or the 5th as a harmony and I got four blank stares back.) It’s also made my voice stronger and improved my technique.

We just started working up the Christmas stuff a few weeks ago. It’s a hoot.

3 Likes

I wish I could sing worth a damn.

Never heard of that song.

1 Like

It’s in all the hymnals.

1 Like

I also like “imperfect” harmonies, often found in folk/bluegrass etc…
The Band comes immediately to mind

As a child, my singing was so bad that my mother asked me to stop trying. I haven’t really tried to sing since.

Newbomb, I’m sure your mom was a lovely person. You clearly love music. May I suggest you try again? Most anyone can sing (if maybe from a limited range)

1 Like

That was utahraptor who referenced his mom.

1 Like

Maybe so, but we’re wondering: Have the two of you ever been seen in the same place at the same time?

1 Like

I have never actually ever been seen.

2 Likes

utahraptor here, yes my mother was a lovely person and a gifted singer. I trusted her judgement.

3 Likes

It’s standard country western.

No, they can’t. Have you never heard Florence Foster Jenkins? Google her. I know a ton of people who can’t sing a note on pitch. It’s best if they just lip sync.

Wife, daughter and son all sang in their school choirs.

I can’t hold a tune in a bucket.

1 Like

I like to sing, unfortunately no one like to hear me sing.

3 Likes