Favorite quotes thread

I thought this might be a fun idea for a thread, as I really enjoy finding and collecting quotes, whether they be funny, somber, inspirational, etc.

I happen to be an ardent fan of Khalil Gibran’s, and stumbled upon this one recently, which I have found to be quite moving:

“And God said ‘Love your enemy!’, and I obeyed him and loved myself.”

Another person who is highly quotable would be Samuel Clemens AKA Mark Twain:

“There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded.”

And of course, probably my GOAT, the one and only Oscar Wilde:

“Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.”

Very eager to see what everyone else will share here…

“You can’t fool all of the people all of the time, but you can fool some of the people some of the time; and that’s enough to make a decent living.” W.C. Fields

4 Likes

3 Likes

His quotes are usually excellent.

1 Like

“I don’t ever want to belong to a club that would accept me as a member.” - Groucho Marx

8 Likes

Napoleon Bonaparte once declared:

‘Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.’

A slightly different version has become known as Hanlon’s razor:

‘Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by neglect.’

When modified slightly, I find the following to be very true, and try to remember to apply it when observing people and organizations:

‘The majority of the time, bad outcomes are the result of incompetence, poor judgement, or bad information, rather than conspiracy.’

3 Likes

Home is where, if you’re having rutabagas, you have to eat them.

Newbomb Turk

4 Likes

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Sigmund Freud

4 Likes

Newspapers don’t print the truth, they just print what people tell them and it’s up to the public to figure out the truth.

Ben Bradlee.

2 Likes

“Nothing ever goes away until it has taught us what we need to know.”

-Pema Chodrun

1 Like

“Let them call me rebel, and welcome, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of devils, were I to make a whore of my soul by swearing allegiance to one, whose character is that of a stupid, stubborn, worthless, brutish man.” – Thomas Paine, The American Crisis

2 Likes

Charlie Brown: Snoopy, one day we will die.
Snoopy: Yes Charlie, but every other day we shall live.

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing that one.

1 Like

“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”

– Thomas Edison

5 Likes

“Quality of life depends on how well you adapt to plan B”

-Unknown

“The value of experience is rarely understood or appreciated by those who don’t have it”

-I made this one up, as I got older it became very clear to me.  It may be similar to something someone else has said.
4 Likes

3 Likes

“I’m with Frank, I think we should do anything”

Hawkeye Pierce

8 Likes

“The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.” - Helen Keller

2 Likes

“We didn’t lose the game, we just ran out of time.” -Vince Lombardi

4 Likes

“This place is a cornucopia of ■■■■■■■■

2 Likes