Facebook Groups

I’m a member of a number of B12 FB groups and they really all are a circus. I’ve seen plenty of bigotry, homophobia, and many other deplorable things. There are BYU and Utah fans taunting each other constantly and going at each others throats with a profound amount of vitriol. It’s really not a good look for either fanbase IMO. I should add that I’m not terribly impressed by the Ute themed pages either. We can attribute most of any decline to UF.N to social media no doubt but based on what I see people post on those sites I’m happy to have them stay there. I suspect that I am just venting here but the toxicity on social media is just awful and makes me feel some degree of shame due to the actions of quite a few of our fans. Thoughts?

If you want to see the ugly, ignorant underbelly of any college football team, FB fan groups are the best place to go.

I keep telling my son the assistant HS FB coach that, whenever he bemoans the low IQ comments on a FB site like Utenation, that he needs to ignore it and drop by here. We have our moments, but there’s definitely more knowledge and manners here, even with the use of monikers.

4 Likes

I dumped all Social Media a long time ago. It’s a place I don’t want to go because 1) of how it channels itself, and 2) How those echo chamber reinforce bad behavior into worse behavior.

Not that I am any bastion of good behavior, but…damn!

9 Likes

I admit I read social media posts such as xtwitter, sometimes there are interesting posts. But many posters are just a-holes. And people that weaponize xtwitter posts to make generalizations about an entire group of people are a-holes too. (We all know which messageboard is famous for this)

4 Likes

I’ve made liberal use of the block feature in the last few weeks. Many of the posters I’ve blocked are from both fans bases (some are very obviously imposters).

No need to respond to these fools. Don’t feed the trolls.

3 Likes

I’ve never had a Facebook account. The drama and issues my wife have had there help keep reaffirming my boycott. Fortunately, my kids have all decided its not for them either.

However, I love Twitter and thankfully you can focus your content to the point it weeds out 99% of trolling and other nonsense (choosing the “Following” only option") There are lots of great Ute fans on twitter .

2 Likes

The algorithms for feeds, esp. on FB are terrible for echo chambering, bias, and leading you to extremes. I don’t like or subscribe to anything. I do get caught wasting time scrolling through Insta Reels now and again but it’s now pegged me on certain categories (touching animal rescues, weird cooking, etc.). My badge of honor was once scrolling down FB it said it had no new things to offer. I broke the algo! Generally I just get far side comics, old machine restoration, or a molten ball of metal dropped into stuff videos fed to me.

FB is the worst for vitriol. I only stay on to keep in touch with a few friends and a few family that won’t move their posts to Instagram (which I only follow people I know and don’t live near me where I would know what they are up to if I cared). No groups. No one I don’t know. I only see TikTok late through some Insta Reels, and not that often. Snap seems stupid and we hold our teens out as long as possible, around 16 and they just seem to take a stupid face picture to tell each other they are alive - we monitor it pretty closely. I don’t follow twitter but only would for breaking sports news (that sometimes is false anyway). I don’t follow political or religious categories on any social (including fan sites) - almost nothing good can come of that.

2 Likes

Man, what has the world come to that high schools now need Facebook coaches, let alone assistants :wink:

3 Likes

Bill Maher said something to the effect that smart phones and social media have caused us to become more passive aggressive with people we know and more aggressive with people we don’t know. Checks out.

6 Likes

Friends don’t let friends Facebook

4 Likes

If you enjoy anything about cats/dogs/rescues, I recommend TInkersCatCafe and KittyNookColorado.

THanks to followign THEM, I ended up getting a truly brilliant hilariouis dude with 4 cats ( 3 of them Orange - OH THE INSANITY) on my feed. He does all the editing and voices himself, and I would dearly love to meet the guy. Check out some of this continuing craziness with his 4 sons named Newt, Toad, Frog, and… Doug LOL Name is DrennonDavis

2 Likes

LOL! Caught me.

Oh, wait, was I suppose to insult you in return? :wink:

2 Likes

I wandered into one of those B12 fan groups. Zoobs were making fun of Utah’s academics, which, of course, made me jump in. Since we are AAU members, and BYU-Provo will never get admittance, I used that. Except the Zoobs had no clue what the AAU is. It’s funny that the four Pac12 teams joining the Big 12 are all AAU members, which will mean that the Big 12 will have 5 total members (Kansas is the only one that is in the AAU).

That got me banned from the group. My pain lasted for about 5 nanoseconds.

5 Likes

In the spirit of FB groups, hell yeah you idiot.

5 Likes