ESPN's initial 2024 FPI rankings

Utah is ranked…27th and fifth in the Big 12 (behind Kansas, K State, Arizona, and Ok State).

Go home ESPN, you’re drunk.

Good. I like it when we’re considered the underdog.

7 Likes

Ditto. Being ranked behind the likes of Kansas and Arizona in football could be great bulletin board material. It’s always better when 20-year olds play with chips on their shoulders.

4 Likes

I think it’ll be a dogfight between those five teams. OSU and Utah seems to pop us the most often as “favored”, but all five teams have enough to get a shot at the title.

3 Likes

ESPN: “Here’s how our index ranks the teams”

Also ESPN: “Here’s why our index is mostly wrong.” :laughing:

Interesting that two of the six picked Utah as the most “undervalued” team.

3 Likes

If we win our first two conference games, I really like our chances. Oklahoma St and Arizona are gonna be tough back to back.

2 Likes

What are your predictions for the various games on our schedule?

Screen Shot 2024-06-03 at 6.52.29 AM

With as many program veteran seniors as we have playing for us this season, we should be contending for the conference championship. I just hope the injury bug doesn’t show up and work us over like it did last season. I don’t want to hear another presser where KW has to say “both QB’s are pushing each other for the #1 this week” again anytime soon.

2 Likes

I agree.
In recent months, we were told on this board that there was no better QB option in CFB than our current QB1 coming off a massive injury. Consequently, our hopes for a playoff spot are on his shoulders.
My guess, if we do not win the Big 12 AQ, we do not make the tournament.

1 Like

I predict that we will play them all.

5 Likes

If I cared, I’d say that this schedule is a slap in the face. I predict that I will see zero games on TV and probably forget that most of the season is even happening. I also predict I will be fine with it.

5 Likes

I feel the same way.

I understand the sentiment.
Will you begin to end your fandom as regards the University of Utah? Or, is this a reactionary position which will possibly find you returning to the fold at some point?

I will always be a fan of the University of Utah. It’s a fine institution where I got my degree, learned a ton and made many friends. However, I think college athletics at this point is dead to me. I see no reason to come back to that.

4 Likes

Did you predict that in the summer leading up to the COVID season? :wink:

1 Like

We are definitely in a crap conference. I have zero interest in the Big 12. Kansas is the best school? Ugh.

I wish we were in the Big 10, a real academic and athletic conference. I hope we don’t stay longer than a year or two.

4 Likes

These are my sentiments as well, practically dead on.

2 Likes

College sports aren’t quite dead to me yet (they don’t want to do go on the cart!) but are certainly inching closer with each NIL, transfer portal, or eyeroll-worthy realignment discussion.

5 Likes

I understand what you are both feeling.
Myself, I am a deep fan of college athletics. I’ll be following the goings on until I pass away.

“College athletics is…dead to me” means what?

You had season tickets that you gave up? Won’t watch on television any longer? Stop participating in discussions on sports message boards?

3 Likes