ESPN’s Emmy Scam

Haven’t noticed this discussed here, but this is another one of those things that should be unbelievable but somehow seems totally expected.

It provides added context to the conversation I had with a woman I met in NYC last September, the next door neighbor of some friends, who had worked for ABC Sports for 30 years and hated ESPN with a passion after how they took over what she thought was a solid organization.

It’s a real mess out there. Just another ethically bankrupt company doing immoral things to their own self-serving ends.

…and the PAC 12 is dead because of it.

7 Likes

Desmond Howard had a take on Lee Corso getting his Emmy’s taken away - it does seem dumb that on-air talent can’t get them and that the show wouldn’t be the show without them. That, I agree with. How ESPN went about circumventing those rules was bad, but neither them nor the Emmy’s look very good coming out of this.

1 Like

The on air talent can get Emmys, though. Just not as fake associate producers. They actually have to compete against other on air talent and earn them.

2 Likes

ah, got it. Maybe I (or Desmond) misunderstood. But definitely shady how they ‘won’ it and then replaced the name …

2 Likes

Careful, Tinker Bell’s light may go out!

1 Like

From the article in the Athletic, ESPN won emmy’s for outstanding studio show but up until last year, the on-air talent was prohibited from being included on the list as winning the Emmy. In 2023 they changed that rule. So what ESPN would do is put in fictious names for producers etc, then when they won the Emmy, remove the name plate and put on the name plate of the on-air talent i.e. Chris Fowler, Kirk Herbstriet etc.

They still could win an Emmy as an indiviual for outstanding host, studio analyst, emerging on-air talent, or for an individual feature, but if the show itself won they were not included in the list of winners, just the behind the scenes people.

It sounds like a dumb rule to me, if they’re part of the show, they should receive the Emmy (which they do now), but what ESPN did was equally as dumb.

2 Likes

Since Tinker Bell got the credit for doing things from a phony filing by her company, let her go out in a pyrrhic blaze.

1 Like

Great word!

2 Likes