Does anyone have a recommendation for a good Autobody repair shop?

My wife has an Audi A4 wagon that needs some front end body repair as a result of going over a very high driveway, and catching the underside of the front bumper/panel.

The three shops that I’ve used all my life are no longer options - one retiring, one sold to a younger person who didn’t have any interest in spending the time to speak with me and give an estimate (suggested I email in photos and he’d get back with me), and the third recently sold the land to be repurposed as a 5 story apartment building. :frowning:

TIA

For a split second I thought this was a recommendation for Earl Scheib :laughing:

Higgins has been awesome for us

https://www.higginsbodyandpaint.com/

2 Likes

My auto body repair guy unfortunately passed away due to COVID. He was the best I had ever found.

I will be looking soon because my son’s car is needing to be repainted.

Heading there tomorrow, first thing, Thanks!!!

Had another referral for them, I’ll check out tomorrow! Thanks!

Loved the Earl Scheib reference!!! That location (on what is it ~1500 so state) has had SSSOOOO many autobody businesses in there in the last half a century, and some of them have actually been good (according to a few acquaintances). I did take a 1949 Chrysler Highlander into Earl for a repair estimate in about 1972 at that location. It was my first car; cost $50.00, and it had a dent in the front driver side fender, which would have cost $39.00 to have repaired, so I passed.

On a Ute related note, didn’t Earl pay for his name to be mentioned on first downs for many years, or am I remembering another business?

2 Likes

Glen’s Paint and Polish is first-rate. Beautiful work and high standards of
professionalism.

Been using Glen since the mid 70’s. His wife was the only one in the building and she apologized saying the two of them were retiring and weren’t bidding repairs - it was literally my first stop; the end of an era. (… old guy thinks to himself, “Glen could repair this fender, all anyone else can do is order a new one and paint it” :frowning: )

I think that was David Early tires that was the first “sponsor” of first downs.

Argh!! Say it isn’t so! I’m afraid they broke the mold after Glen. Big loss.

1 Like

I second, thrid or fourth the schneiders recommendation. have used them 3 or 4 times; always found them reasonable.

2 Likes

A follow up post to this thread to provide some early feedback:

We got bids from 5 autobody shops for the repair work on my wife’s Audi. Schneider was the lowest bid, by far, and we decided to go with them as they believed that they could “likely” repair the car without replacing the bumper and painting it, which all the other bids included and which cost between $1500 and $2200.

Schneider said when they got it apart, they “might” find broken brackets on the bumper and have to add the costs to replace it, but believed it very unlikely.

The car is being prepared now, and they did find a single broken bracket on the bumper which will have the effect of the seam between the bumper and drivers front quarter panel not being perfect. However, the bumper panel will be solid with no attachment problems.

The car is a 2007, with 130,000 miles, with minimal normal body wear. We were quite pleased to save that much money on an old car, where the alternative will be barely noticeable.

Literally none of the other shops offered us this even as an option.

1 Like