Death of the PAC12 thread — and what happens to Utah

That’s not the reason the person I was replying to gave. But I know what you’re saying

It doesn’t seem like the religion thing has to be an issue. In my experience (which is outside the Mormon corridor) amongst the lds community religion plays a very small role if at all (gentle cultural “elders quorum” ribbing)

Based on what I’ve seen on the internet from every sports base I’ve seen, I think the internet is the issue.

You apparently didn’t grow up with the fools who made the Utah/bYu rivalry toxic. Yes the internet added to the toxic behavior, but the toxicity didn’t start with the internet.

It would be nice if religion wasn’t part of the Utah/bYU situation, but it is. Outside of Utah the religious aspect is looked at as a peculiarity of the rivalry, and adds “spice.” Little do many folks realize how toxic it is within Utah.

7 Likes

I lived in Utah for high school, college, and for a couple years as a manager of a Big Pharma company. The religious crap just annoyed me. I just don’t care about religion, and I don’t want it in my face.

The BYU-Utah rivalry had too much religious nonsense attached it. And most of it centered around BYU being vestal virgins with perfect morality. What a load of crap.

Outside of Utah, BYU is a second rate religious school with tight ■■■■■ and backwards thinking. And some of that pollution flows over Utah. You do not know how many times people were interviewing me for jobs and were trying to figure out if I were one of those weird Mormons who wouldn’t fit in with the management team.

Of course, there was the time that the VP of marketing was a Stake President in Florida, and hired me on the spot because he thought I was LDS.

I digress.

I just don’t care about playing BYU. I’d rather be playing Florida, Texas, and Michigan every year. Those games would have meaning.

10 Likes

Two posts in a row makes me tell you: it’s you’re.

3 Likes

Especially when you win 7 conference championships in one year. Yes, we care about those sports as well. Very much so.
Go UTES!!

8 Likes

I think maybe you just don’t like “those weird Mormons” regardless of where they went to college?

In the scheme of things pro sports rivalries here are much more violent and immature than college rivalries.

1 Like

Well, if BYU were suddenly in Utah’s conference, they’d never need to worry about scheduling them anymore in non-conference. Which would allow them to schedule the Florida’s and Michigan’s of the world whenever they want. Silver lining to Big 12 membership.

You mean Southwest Florida A&T and Upper Michigan Marine University right? :wink:

2 Likes

Just like now we will dominate byu in the big12. They can see us win conference championships. While they watch from home during bowl season

6 Likes

I don’t know about that. Class warfare can get pretty ugly too.

FTFO!

I don’t think that UCLA is that much higher up the social register than Southern Cal, but I guess it’s possible, given the low bar set by the Trojans.

8 Likes

via twitter .com/DanWetzel/status/1686794637086781447?s=20

A group of Big Ten presidents have begun exploratory discussions on expansion in light of Pac 12 uncertainty, industry sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Focus is on possibly adding Oregon and Washington to move to 18 members or Cal and Stanford to reach 20.

1 Like
1 Like

Makes sense. I think the B1G would move only after the PAC loses more teams (e.g. UA, ASU, Utah) so they could scoop up these other AAU schools for a western cluster, acting as a hero rather than a destroyer of conferences (let Big 12 get the blame for that).

2 Likes

If the proposed media deal with Apple is rejected, this conference is dead. It’s beginning to feel inevitable at this point that Washington, Oregon, Cal, and Stanford would leave for the B1G, leaving Arizona, ASU, and Utah no real option other than to leave for the Big 12, lest they be “relegated” to the Mountain West. Sorry Wazzu and Oregon State, but your only choice would be a Pac-12 rump/MWC merger at that point. Though that would actually be a pretty decent football league, at it would have Oregon State, Washington State, Boise State, Fresno State, SDSU, Air Force, etc. That’s basically the AAC part two.

I think we were writing at the same time, but I do think it’d be the Big 12 move 1st that would officially kill the conference, then B1G would take the NoCal/UO/UW after. 20 team league?! Wow, hope they do a case study in how not to do it from the old WAC.

OSU/WSU really get the shaft. Unwanted step children. But they don’t have the pedigree, $, or research … wonder how many will fight in those states to try to keep the state school from splitting from the flagship

2 Likes

Well, they could do the same thing UCLA was forced to do for Cal. Subsidizing. And the Big Ten is a little bit better off than the old Wac methinks. The old Wac never had a media deal that is going to pay it’s members 75 million dollars each. Not even close

1 Like

this is all so depressing.

How does it make sense that the schools going to the B1G from the PAC12 get half of $65 million and the schools going to thre Big XII get $32 million?

2 Likes

This conference is already dead.

2 Likes

Because those leagues have/had actually competent leadership. Unlike the Pac-12. They negotiated their media deals before the economy took a downturn and while media entities were still interested. They struck while the iron was hot, unlike the Pac-12. They should have accepted an extension of their current media deal when they had the opportunity instead of rejecting that and taking their deal to the open market. Because doing that resulted in the proposed Apple deal. It was naive to think they could get a better deal than they already had.

1 Like