Crimson Collective - Utah's NIL

But then they would have to sit by you.

3 Likes

My FB season tix went up 40%. Tailgate passes went up 45% ($800 for 7 games last year vs $1000 for 6 games this year).

2 Likes

At what point do you say ā€œShouldnā€™t I be giving some money to academics ?ā€

8 Likes

Look, I didnā€™t claim it was a perfect scenario, ok?

4 Likes

I guess itā€™s nice that someone would be happy if that were to happen.

I think the floor in the near-term is back to something like the mountain west. At least this year, there is an opportunity to make some noise, and maybe build some momentum for the future (talking football here).

1 Like

My contributions to the U (not counting the Huntsman Foundation) are earmarked for STUDENT athletes, in other words, 100% directly to the Utah ski program. Apparently, by default, Iā€™m also a Crimson Club/Collective member (level 6), which I could care less about. A few months ago some sort of hokey Crimson flag was delivered to my residence displaying miscellaneous verbiage and the politically correct University of Houston knockoff interlocking Uā€™s, which I have no use for.

I refuse to donate to professional sports teams (e.g., Utah Jazz, Utah Utes football and menā€™s basketball). I could be off base but Iā€™m guessing over the next few years large numbers of people are going to lose their appetite for D-I football and basketball. For myself, this is also partly a microcosm of my increasing disinterest in much of pop culture.

The Utah ski program, its coaches, supporters, fans, and athletes are an intimate, lean, and closely knit group, includes both men and women (are we still allowed to use these two words) of high academic achievement, compared to the bureaucratic leviathan that is the D-I football and basketball industrial complex it feels as fresh and pure as the driven snow.

4 Likes

I know for a fact that they are reaching out to ā€œhigh rollers.ā€ Jeff Rudy, who previously was the Football Ops guy spends a great deal of his time on these efforts.

The funny thing is that Iā€™ll bet some Crimson Club members would be offended if they didnā€™t get the invitation to participate.

For many, including myself, the cost and the value/enjoyment from going to and watching Utah athletics has about reached the point where the cost is outweighing the enjoyment level. Iā€™ll probably hang on for a couple of more years until I hit 70.

4 Likes

Feel like I might be last man standing. Too emotionally invested in this school to walk away anytime soon.

1 Like

Having rubbed shoulders with some of the big players in NIL locally, Iā€™m amused at how much people hate NIL and are resistant to giving to the collective. I know this isnā€™t necessarily news, but I feel the CC is a bit out of touch with their ā€œdonorā€ base.

2 Likes

I saw Rudy at the game last night. At a previous game Ronnie Mac was down on the floor, connecting with Spence Eccles. Great to see. Utah has some really supportive big name families, though their contributions end up on names and institutes, as well.

Iā€™m getting my sons to start picking up the mantle - so far, weā€™re making progress. One son got the mUTEation really bad - he does road games and everything. Another son picked up 2 seats on the 50.

4 Likes

The whole topic of NIL is really distasteful. Some really bad examples like Deionā€™s son driving a Rolls Royce, the apparent erosion of amateur athletics at the collegiate level, at least for the ā€œrevenueā€ sports. Blatant, nauseating examples. The whole thing is bound to create friction with anyone connected to the past.

It was encouraging to see a fair number of kids at the game last night, way past their bedtime on a school night. Just like when I was a kid.

Hopefully the NIL landscape settles down into something less offensive, more sustainable, and a new generation of supporters keeps Utah competitive.

My dad used to tell stories about he & his buddies sneaking into the Einar Nielsen Fieldhouse, where Billy McGill played. Then the U built the Special Events Center in 1969, some probably thought it was an ostentatious edifice to athletics, superceding and insulting the academic mission of the U. I could see that kind of opinion, from academics.

At the same time, there was still a red-light district in downtown SLC. I actually worked with a guy at the U who was open about his mom being a madame on west 2nd south. ā€œI was raised by pimps and prostitutesā€

What do these things have in common? Nothing really, except noting that things change. Hopefully, mostly for the better, over time. In the US, athletics at universities are large marketing engines that connect communities to the schools, market to the nation, and keep alumni connected, and for those can, still giving.

5 Likes

NIL should be compensation for using their name, image, or likeness. Like an endorsement. Or a video game or on a jersey sold. Why should i or anyone give money for pay to play? Thatā€™s where it breaks down. Idiotic. All pitch in so some of these kids can make more than many will in 10+ years. Yes, itā€™s entertainment and people pay in other ways (booster club, tickets, apparel). Make the people making money off of them pay them. This is asinine.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s where my wife and I shifted a couple years ago. I still love football but we have divested our finances from college sports. No more season tickets and no more CC donations. I donate to academic department scholarships and a few more local charities.

I am investing in future thinkers because some young person is gonna have to fix all this crap that we are so thoroughly screwing up.

10 Likes

comedy

You could have posted this exact paragraph minus the NIL references on this site in 2001 and been 100% accurate.

4 Likes

I see what you are saying but Iā€™d say the reaction to NIL has been more visceral.

4 Likes

Especially with TV so available, which I hope continues.

3 Likes

I am with Maā€™ake on getting rid of cable and simply going to streaming services.

2 Likes

I get the antipathy to NIL.

I went to CB to see if there was a reaction to the Spokane situation and noticed this: Look here is the issue w/ the Marcus Adams Jr news and all the posts people are

Basically itā€™s pushback from a CB based NIL called Coug Connect to some of the CB whiners related to their 4 star BB player Marcus Adams hitting the portal againā€¦ but lower in the epistle is an admission they provide Teslas for NIL, ā€œnot leases like the other guysā€.

In no way is this a guilt trip to solicit more money - hell, I donā€™t even know our NIL folks. Iā€™m just saying the landscape is more competitive than is publicly apparent, and hopefully we find a way to match up in hoops. (Come on, Jeff Rudy!!)

Iā€™m not familiar with BYUā€™s Tesla deal. Do they help players qualify for a loan? Do they help with down payment, monthly payments, insurance? If the player leaves do they keep the car and continue to get the help?