Craig Smith - Everybody's working for the weekend

I believe Larry missed out on a number of guys that were rumored to have Utah at the top of their list. Markannon and Yurtseven come to mind.

1 Like

I think that’s part of what was going on. He wouldn’t play dirty like other teams would and lost players as a result. Plus he was old school discipline wise which didn’t sit well with some players I heard.

1 Like

We did regularly seem to lose committed players to Arizona and other schools at the last minute. It looked pretty suspicious.

2 Likes

Akot

2 Likes

Kind of depressing, but it is the reality of what has happened.

Doesn’t take much intelligence to do a post mortem on this season. This is especially true in an up year overall and at the top for the Pac 12. Pac 12 was stronger this season than since Utah joined the conference.

In a sentence, you can’t have a winning season in the Pac 12 with MWC players. Not in a good Pac 12 year. Craig Smith scrambled to fill another big hole left by mass transfers from Krystkowiak’s program with the limited time and resources he had. They were starters on Utah State and UNLV. Good enough to prevent an 0-22 disaster, but not good enough for a winning season. Add to this, the fluidity and dislocation caused by NIL.

Craig Smith can’t be judged until he is able to establish a system in the new regime to get him the minimal talent he needs to compete. Being Utah in the Pac 12, there is no reason this can’t happen. But he’ll need time to rebuild and adjust to the new world after the ravages left by Chris Hill’s hires.

1 Like

The very top of the conference may have been steller, but overall the conference was horrible. Only 3 tourney teams, even though all the other conference teams got to play other horrible confference teasm, and no one else could emerge.

3 Likes

they felt better. Maybe because we were worse.

But my main point stands.

Until Craig Smith has a chance to get some players that give him a chance to be competitive, there is no ground on which to judge him. None. Impatience here will only further damage the program.

One disheartening thing I’ve learned from social media is how emotionally overwrought and stupid so many fans are. Some of you may remember my facebook post after the BYU and SDS football losses telling everyone to calm down. I was right.

I’m glad that with few exceptions posters here are not like that. Probably why we post here, not facebook.

5 Likes

I think this is the overwhelming view of people who post here. I can think of only 2-3 exceptions.

6 Likes

Ban them.

No. And for the record, I’m not one of them.

3 Likes

I hope you are joking, and I’m sure you are (I hope?). Impatient posters like Operaman who want Craig Smith fired after one season are absurd, of course, but at least they stimulate discussion. I could do without the personal insults, which is why Rocker pressed the temporary mute button on Operaman, but I hope he will hop back in this thread when allowed and keep the conversation rolling.

Otherwise, what have we got to discuss, Newbomb’s tiddlywinks collection?

5 Likes

I collect lamp finials. And I will thank you to keep them out of this discussion.

5 Likes

Well, we are about to head into the April-June dead period when there are few posts topics to discuss and we start eating our own. I hope Newbomb tells us about this collection.

Hey, the baseball team is pretty good this year. There’s something to talk about.

6 Likes

Now you’ve piqued my curiosity. Enlighten us. I don’t follow baseball all that closely, so any updates would be good.

BYU at Utah today at 6pm. Smiths . See you there!

1 Like

Check it. 5p

2 Likes

RIP to Mr Marcroft

2 Likes