COVID-19 Discussion (No Politics)

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-00214-3?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Good piece.

Excerpt:

No one anticipated how quickly Omicron would sweep the globe. Although the surge from the variant is starting to decline in many countries, worldwide case numbers are still on the rise. The last full week of January saw about 23 million confirmed new cases; previous peaks topped out at about 5 million per week. Beleaguered public-health officials are still scrambling to curtail the virus’s spread so that people with COVID-19 don’t overwhelm the hospitals.

Omicron also presented immunologists with a new and urgent puzzle. Initial data suggest that existing vaccines, designed around the original SARS-CoV-2, do not provide much protection from becoming infected with the variant, even if they do seem to reduce the risk of hospitalization or death. The protection provided by two doses of a messenger RNA vaccine drops to less than 40% just a few months after the second dose1,2. But a third, ‘booster’ dose seems to help. One report found about 60–70% protection from infection at two weeks after a third shot1, and protection from severe illness seems strong2.

“This is very exciting,” says Mark Slifka, an immunologist at Oregon Health & Science University in Portland. It’s also a little surprising. Why would a third encounter with a vaccine targeted to the original virus’s spike protein — which it uses to enter cells — work against this variant, which has more than 30 mutations in the spike?

The human immune system’s ability to remember past infections is one of its hallmarks, but a durable response is not guaranteed. Some infections and immunizations elicit lifelong protection, but for others, the response is modest and requires regular reminders in the form of booster shots or new, reformulated vaccines. COVID-19 has forced on the world a chance to explore the intricacies of this complex and crucial biological phenomenon. “It’s an amazing natural experiment,” says Donna Farber, an immunologist at Columbia University in New York City. “It’s just this unbelievable opportunity to look at human immune responses in real time.”

Better if it helps avoid becoming infected, but fine if it only means we’ll be highly likely to be ok if we do.

what? It’s not over? It’s a worldwide pandemic?

You are pissing into the wind my friend. The wind of fatigue. Does make me wonder what this generation could truly endure…or sacrifice.

That noted a friend of mine is a retired doctor who continues to do work in some sectors. He told me last week that the Merck anti-viral medicine, a pill, will be a game changers on mortality. Also, he told me the anti-viral nasal spray will further be a game changer. He was thinking the US.

2 Likes

My company just announced that workers in office that are confirmed as fully vaccinated no longer need to wear masks, unless a state or local ordinance or mandate requires it.

Unvaccinated will still be required to wear masks unless alone in an enclosed office. Those in the cubicle wasteland will continue to have to wear even while sitting at their desks.

Yep, that’s the standard my company has set too. And they had us upload our vaccine card. If you don’t want to say, you fall under the unvaccinated rules. But they postponed our return. I was supposed to go back (1-2 days a week) on Jan 24th. No update yet.

Getting looks from the locals when I go shopping wearing a mask…again. I get they are tired of the pandemic, but some of us actually want to do something to kick it to the curb sooner than later.

Is it me, or has the Trib’s COVID data reporting become one big disclaimer. We all get the numbers aren’t very accurate, but geez.

4 Likes

My firm has been postponing the office return sine Labor Day. No one who’s not fully vaxxed can enter the office. The effect on morale is subtle but noticeable.

1 Like

Looking at the Utah DEQ “poopwatch” data is certainly encouraging. I trust the relative trends in these data much more than I trust the state’s COVID test results since we know the sample set for those has been seriously compromised by asking sick people not to get tested, home tests that don’t report, and false negative issues with one type of quick antigen test. The site’s pretty cool. Pick your sewage treatment plant and see how your neighborhood is doing.

Utah Poopwatch

2 Likes

Not clear to me how many of those infected with Covid show long symptoms.

‘I Had Never Felt Worse’: Long Covid Sufferers Are Struggling With Exercise

And experts have some theories as to why.

By Melinda Wenner Moyer

Feb. 12, 2022

NY Times

When Natalie Hollabaugh tested positive for Covid-19 in March 2020, her recovery felt extremely slow. Eighteen months later, she was still suffering from a litany of symptoms, including fatigue, shortness of breath, headaches and joint pain. She saw a cardiologist and a pulmonologist, who both ruled out other health problems, she said. And they advised her to start exercising, suggesting that some of her symptoms may have been a result of being out of shape. So Ms. Hollabaugh dutifully began using an exercise bike, speed walking on a treadmill and walking her dogs several miles a day.

But instead of helping, her new exercise regimen only exacerbated her symptoms. “I had never felt worse,” said Ms. Hollabaugh, 31, a lawyer who lives in Portland, Ore. She found she had to start taking daily naps, that her heart rate would skyrocket even when she was at rest and that she was so tired she couldn’t concentrate.

As one of the many Americans suffering from long Covid , a condition characterized by new or lingering symptoms that can be felt for months after a coronavirus infection , Ms. Hollabaugh is not alone in experiencing setbacks with exercise. Natalie Lambert, a biostatistician and health data scientist at the Indiana University School of Medicine, has collected self-reported data from more than a million long Covid patients through a collaboration with Survivor Corps, a Facebook support group for Covid survivors. Patients frequently report that their doctors have advised them to exercise, she said — but many say that when they do, they feel worse afterward.

“The research that I’ve done has shown that inability to exercise is one of the most common long-term symptoms,” Dr. Lambert said. Some people are simply too tired to exercise, she said, while others experience debilitating symptom relapses like increases in fatigue, brain fog or muscle pain. This worsening of symptoms after engaging in even just a little bit of physical activity — what is sometimes called “post-exertional malaise” — seems to be common among long Covid patients. When researchers performed an online survey of 3,762 people with long Covid, as part of a study published in August, they found that 89 percent reported post-exertional malaise.

These exercise-induced problems are not, however, merely the byproduct of becoming out of shape. The effects “are very, very different from normal and simple detraining,” said Dr. David Systrom, a pulmonary and critical care physician at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston. They also don’t seem to be the result of lung or heart injury.

In one small study published in January, for example, Dr. Systrom and his colleagues compared 10 long Covid patients who had trouble exercising with 10 people who had never tested positive for Covid-19, but who had unexplained shortness of breath after exercise. The researchers found that nobody in the study had abnormal chest CT scans, anemia or problems with lung or heart function, suggesting that organ injury wasn’t to blame for their symptoms. Yet when the long Covid patients exercised on a stationary bicycle, Dr. Systrom found that some veins and arteries were not working properly, preventing oxygen from being delivered efficiently to their muscles.

Nobody knows why these blood vessel problems occur, Dr. Systrom said, but another one of his recent studies suggested that long Covid patients experience damage to a certain kind of nerve fiber involved in how organs and blood vessel function.

Other research on exercise intolerance implicates problems with how the heart rate responds to exercise. In one study published in November, researchers from Indiana studied 29 women who had tested positive for Covid-19 about three months earlier. When these women underwent a six-minute-long walking test, their heart rates didn’t accelerate as much — or recover as quickly — as the heart rates of 16 similar women who had not been infected with Covid-19.

“Clearly, there’s something going on that’s interfering with that normal response,” said Stephen J. Carter, an author of the study and an exercise physiologist at the Indiana University Bloomington School of Public Health.

Dr. Lambert pointed out that some patients with long Covid are also diagnosed with postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (or POTS), a disorder that affects blood flow. In people who have POTS, “the nervous system can’t regulate the things that it’s supposed to automatically control, like heart rate, blood pressure, sweating and body temperature,” she said. Yet “those are all things that when you’re exercising need to be regulated properly.”

Some doctors also point to parallels between patients with long Covid and those with chronic fatigue syndrome, who have severe fatigue, memory and cognitive problems, and often muscle or joint pain. For decades, physicians advised chronic fatigue patients that exercise would improve their symptoms, but for many patients, exercise actually made their symptoms worse and now is no longer recommended.

In 2021, Dr. Systrom and his team studied 160 chronic fatigue patients, and found that when they exercised, they experienced many of the same blood vessel problems observed in long Covid patients, while control subjects did not. “We’re essentially finding the exact same thing” when it comes to potential mechanisms, he said.

This all leads to one question: Should Covid patients who are having trouble with exercise continue to ramp up their physical activity? Nobody knows — and opinions differ. “There are both patients and doctors who are vehemently against any exercise” because of these issues, Dr. Systrom said. But he also said that exercise can be possible, and even beneficial, after long Covid patients receive proper treatment. “If you can get the patient in a better place with medications, then you can embark on a graded exercise program without precipitating crashes,” he said.

Dr. Lambert agreed. “You can’t just jump into exercise, or you’re going to be set back,” she said, but you should “slowly try to reincorporate it if you are feeling better.” She added that long Covid can manifest in different ways, so doctors and patients may need to tailor their recommendations to patients’ needs.

“That’s really the story of Covid — that for every patient, long Covid is different,” she said. “There’s probably never going to be a one-size-fits-all recommendation for exercise.”

3 Likes

More on the subject @utahfansir posted about.

The New Clues About Who Will Develop Long Covid

Research is homing in on risk factors for developing long Covid, offering clues for potential treatments

Asthma. Unhealthy gut bacteria. The presence of autoantibodies, usually associated with autoimmune conditions.

These are among the risk factors identified in new studies as potentially making someone at greater risk of developing long Covid, a condition in which wide-ranging symptoms such as fatigue, brain fog and racing heart rate persist months after an initial Covid-19 infection.

The studies help advance scientists’ understanding of the biology behind long Covid, and provide clues to potential treatments. Patients with autoantibodies, for instance, might get relief from existing treatments for lupus, an autoimmune disease.

The variety of reasons one person might get long Covid and another might not also reinforce scientists’ increasing belief that there won’t be a single cause or treatment for the condition.

“This is really important because we really didn’t understand the exact biological risk factors for long Covid,” says Linda Geng, co-director of the Stanford Post-Acute Covid-19 Syndrome Clinic, who wasn’t involved in any of the studies.

In a study published in the journal Cell, scientists identified four risk factors, for which scientists tested upon a patient’s initial diagnosis. The most prevalent one was the presence of certain autoantibodies, which are antibodies that mistakenly attack the body in autoimmune conditions such as lupus. Researchers found the autoantibodies in about 60% of the patients who developed long Covid.

Most patients didn’t have a diagnosed autoimmune disease, but rather had very low levels of autoantibodies associated with various autoimmune diseases, says Jim Heath, senior author on the study and president and professor of the Institute for Systems Biology, a nonprofit biomedical research organization in Seattle.

A second risk factor was reactivated Epstein-Barr virus. Epstein-Barr is what causes mononucleosis and infects about 90% of people. Normally, the virus remains dormant afterward. The study found that it was reactivated in some people who later developed long Covid.

“Your immune system is probably doing a reasonable job of keeping EBV in check and with a SARS-CoV-2 infection you lose that brake,” says Dr. Heath. “It seems to happen very early in an infection.”

Two other risk factors were Type 2 diabetes and the detection of genetic material from SARS-CoV-2 in the blood, which means the virus escaped the lungs and is spreading to other parts of the body.

The researchers collected and analyzed blood and swab samples from more than 200 Covid-19 patients up to two to three months post-infection. The majority of patients were hospitalized for Covid but the tests were replicated on a separate group of roughly 100 patients with mostly mild Covid-19 infections. The tests were also conducted on about 460 healthy people in a control group.

The researchers are hoping to use their findings to identify potential treatment options to prevent long Covid. For example, people who have the virus in the blood might be treated with one of the new Covid antiviral drugs.

The researchers also found that some long Covid patients have very depleted levels of the cortisol hormone, resulting in Addison’s disease, which has symptoms such as fatigue and muscle aches. Addison’s patients are often treated with cortisol replacement therapy.

The finding is important because doctors can test and treat the problem with existing therapies, says Claire Steves, a geriatrician and clinical academic at King’s College London, who also studies risk factors for long Covid.

Timothy Henrich, an associate professor of medicine at the University of California, San Francisco, who is also studying long Covid patients, said the Cell study was well done. But he noted that it looked at patients only two to three months after their initial infection.

In a separate new study in Nature Communications, researchers from Switzerland found five different factors that they concluded will help predict who will develop long Covid.

The most prominent: lower levels of two types of immunoglobulin, IgM and IgG3, which are types of antibodies, says Onur Boyman, senior author of the study and professor and chair of clinical immunology and allergology at the University of Zurich.

Other predictors included being older, a history of asthma, and symptoms of fever, fatigue, cough, difficulty breathing and gastrointestinal issues during an acute Covid-19 infection. People who developed long Covid had on average three of those symptoms during their initial infection.

The researchers looked at 175 Covid-19 patients and compared the findings to about 40 healthy controls. They confirmed the findings in a separate group of 395 Covid-19 patients. Some people had all the risk factors while others had fewer, says Dr. Boyman.

The goal, says Dr. Boyman, was to find indicators in the body that are easy to test for. The two immunoglobulins they identified are fairly stable, he says, and not related to the SARS-CoV-2 infection.

In the third study, published in the journal Gut, researchers in Hong Kong analyzed the gut microbiome of more than 100 Covid-19 patients at the time of their initial infection, one month later, and again six months later. They compared the results to a control group of 68 healthy people.

The gut microbiome is the bacteria and other microorganisms that live in our digestive tract. Researchers found that Covid-19 patients with healthy gut bacteria were less likely to develop long Covid and had a microbiome similar to people in the healthy control group. Patients who went on to develop long Covid had a less diverse and abundant microbiome.

“It’s an interesting hypothesis that the gut microbiome may be involved in the process of long Covid,” said Dr. Steves, who wasn’t involved in the study. She noted that in general when people are sick their microbiome changes, so more data is needed to see if changing the gut microbiome might work as a treatment.

While promising, the findings in all of the studies need to be tested further in larger groups of people, says Steven Deeks, professor of medicine at the University of California, San Francisco, who wasn’t involved in the studies and is heading a separate study on long Covid.

“When you study a million things in a few people you’re going to find a lot of stuff and not all of it is real,” says Dr. Deeks.

2 Likes

Portland man tries to open a Delta flight’s emergency exit door in flight so " other passengers would record him sharing his views on coronavirus vaccines".

According to court documents, on February 11, 2022, while on a Delta Airlines flight from Salt Lake City to Portland, Demarre attempted to open the aircraft’s emergency exit door while it was in flight. According to witness statements taken by police, Demarre removed the plastic covering over the emergency exit handle and forcefully pulled on the handle. A flight attendant demanded Demarre cease touching the handle and move to the rear of the aircraft. Demarre complied and was physically restrained by the flight crew. Once in Portland, Demarre told officers he created the disturbance so other passengers would video record him sharing his personal views.

Have people always been this utterly insane?

5 Likes

Yes. They are just more emboldened now. We know why.

5 Likes

I know they were in Salem…!

I never wanted to be him, but I do miss the old D. B. Coopers restaurant and bar. We used to go there for dinner before the symphony for years. It was decent food and drinks, and they had an early bird special that worked for the symphony goers. Miss that place…

3 Likes

While COVID rates plummet here at home in SLC and across the US, in Iceland they’re skyrocketing. Over 500/100,000 this week. We’re booked to go to Iceland on a tour to see the Northern Lights next month. I’m getting a little antsy about it.

2 Likes

1 Like

(still one of my all time favorite ad campaigns)

4 Likes

Well, this isn’t working out too well…

1 Like

I do wonder though - i think they followed restrictions better. Here, we just let the fire burn, most recently pretty hot. By lifting restrictions here, doesn’t seem like a whole lot changes since so many didn’t follow them anyway. Anyone have data or a link to an estimate of those that are either not vaccinated and have not had covid? Seems like that number is dwindling.

I think we are at 76% 1 dose and 64.5% 2 dose. Percentege highest for oldest, dropping to youngest. I guess I wonder how many are left without some level of immunity (1 dose, 2 dose, boosted, natural) so the virus is not novel.

I don’t believe the pandemic is yet over, but don’t see much more than a small echo bump if anything at least while Omicron is the dominant variant (unless immunity severely wanes and everyone goes through another round in 6 months).

1 Like

I really, really hope this research is found to be flawed:

As BA.2 subvariant of Omicron rises, lab studies point to signs of severity | CNN

1 Like