Cotton or Alamo/Holiday?

Last year Harlan fought hard with the conference and with the bowls, saying that the second-place team in the conference deserves the second-best bowl. That’s how we got the Holiday last year. For what it’s worth.

1 Like

WRONG. You CANNOT be selected behind a team you finished more than one game better than in the overall conference rankings. The ONLY team who can be picked before Utah is USC because they went 7-2 in conference. Utah will either go to the Cotton Bowl, Alamo Bowl, or Holiday Bowl.

2 Likes

They did beat Oklahoma. The only team all season to do so.

So the rule is that after the NY6 bowl selections the bowl tie ins can select from the remaining teams, with the proviso that the pool they can select from must be the teams within one conference win of each other. So the worst we could do is the Holiday bowl, since only USC is within one win.

But we did end up in the Holiday bowl, not the Alamo bowl.

I just recall that we were in range of not even getting the Holiday and Harlan went ballistic.

According to Wilner (and every other source I’ve seen):

Alamo, Holiday and Redbox have their choice of teams so long as there is no more than a one-game difference in conference record. The Sun, Las Vegas and Cheez-It must pick teams in order of conference record.

So it appears that yes, bowls do have choice of remaining eligible teams but can’t pick a team that is more than one game behind a higher-ranked team in the standings. If the Alamo Bowl picks USC (which is unfortunately a real possibility) the Utes can’t fall farther than the Holiday nor can a bowl select UW ahead of them. Do you have a link to something that said different? I’d love to read more on the topic.

1 Like

He doesn’t have a link, he’s just stirring the pot. I made the mistake of getting sucked into it but I deleted the conversation. Don’t fall for this crap, the selection process is as you say it is.

1 Like

I honestly wouldn’t mind the Holiday Bowl again. There are worse places to spend New Years

But that stadium. Ugh.

Then again, maybe it will be much nicer without steady, cold rain.

Yea, that was miserable. Where I was sitting the water didn’t drain, it just puddled.