Cooking a brisket from hell for a tailgate

Yesterday I ordered a beef brisket from Costco that I thought would be maybe 5-7 lbs. What I got was a 16 lbs. monster, so it got me to thinking…could smoking a monster like that and adding baked bean, potato salad, corn on the cob, and salad make like one of the greatest tailgate meals ever amassed. My guess is it could feed up to 30 of your closest friends. Figure it would take 3 days to get it smoked just right.

Yes or no

Ah, you got a full brisket. It’ll take about 18hrs to get it right. Yes, 18hrs. If you have a way to keep the heat and moisture right for long periods, you can ignore it for a good chunk of time. I don’t have a good way to control heat and temp, because I use a charcoal smoker, but if you’ve got a traeger, or similar, or an electric smoker, you’ll be fine.

You can also split your brisket a few ways to cut down your time, and save on leftovers. It’s not as hard as it sounds. Don’t trim all of the fat off, but do trim a large portion of it.

Here’s another, longer video.

edit: added another video

1 Like

I have a Louisiana Smoker vertical style. It does a good job regulating its heat. Keeping the water pan full is the big job.

1 Like

Be sure to post before/after pics.

When I get to doing one, I will.

Today is pot roast with carrots, potatoes and corn on the cob.

Cooking it in the Crock Pot.

1 Like