Clapton, Hendrix, Spinal Tap: which is the best ever guitar solo?

Ocean by John Butler is very good.

His super-bowl performance was par excellence

1 Like

Ever notice how the ā€œechoeā€ from the song Echoes plays for one beat in the beginning 20 seconds of ā€œFearlessā€?

I realize this was intended for rock/electric guitar solos so my contribution if probably way off track but Iā€™ve always loved this slow acoustic solo

Donā€™t let the artist fool you, this has no vocals, just a couple of guitars.

2 Likes

I graduated during the Chuck Stobart and so itā€™s always been Randy Rhoads for me. I loved all the work he did on this track, but the solo is over the top good for me.

the correct answer is Jimmy page in a ā€œwhole lotta loveā€

1 Like

All the answers are right answers.

I was watching a Dire Straits concert on Youtube a few weeks ago. Watching Knopfler play was pretty great.

2 Likes

ā€œIā€™m going homeā€ by Ten Years After at Woodstock

3 Likes

Oh yeah!

Three things to start.

1. You can argue until youā€™re blue in the face and never agree on which one is best.
  2. I agree with SheeeeUte (I never can remember how many eā€™s are in there) with Princeā€™s solo
  3. You knew that Newbomb would have the most obscure reference in the thread.

This was the first one that jumped to my mind. Don Felder playing the Hotel California guitar solo by himself at the Metropolitan Opera House.
Don Felder Hotel California

2 Likes

Duane Allman, Statesboro Blues ( At Fillmore East, 1971 )

4 Likes

I have that album.

We must be about the same age (no spring chicken!), based on your musical tastes, and the comment you made about attending the 2033 Wisconsin game :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m 65

Ditto

1 Like

I would have guessed 11.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not the best from a technical standpoint by any means, but Kerry Kingā€™s solo in Slayerā€™s ā€œRaining Bloodā€ is one of my all-time favorites.

As is Vernon Reidā€™s in ā€œCult of Personalityā€. Both blew my mind as a wee lad.

My favorite guitaristā€¦for the impatient, tune in at 4:29:

Halfway through this next one RT begins to burnā€¦

1 Like

Fun list from Steve Hyden. Amazing how many great albums are on this.

1 Like