Central Utah fast food

If you’re ever here (Mount Pleasant) try this place. Great small-town atmosphere and good, quirky food. My wife ordered the Bishop Shake.

What city?

Oops. Forgot to include that. Originally I titled the thread “Mount Pleasant fast food” then decided to broaden it.

2 Likes

“Small town” burger shacks always make the best burgers, regardless if they aren’t in a small town. Exhibit A: Millie’s in Sugarhouse.

2 Likes

Anyone ever been here? It was recommended to me by a family member and I quite liked it. Stopped by on the way back from Vegas a few years ago. Very simple but very good. House made pies.

1 Like

There are 23 restaurants in Beaver?

1 Like

It’s a good place to eat.

4 Likes

Always? I don’t think that’s quite accurate. It really depends on the type of small town.

Ray’s Tavern and a taco truck in Green River.

Taggert’s Grill in Taggert.

2 Likes

Das Café in Spring City. Surprisingly good German food in this middle of this former ghost town turned artists’ colony. It’s right on Main Street.

Glade’s in Spanish Fork is right along the same lines as this. I haven’t been there in years but as far as I know it’s still in business and hasn’t changed in decades. Great greasy spoon place.

1 Like

Shouldn’t it be Das Kaffee? Seems suspect to mix the German article with the French word.

1 Like

All I know is what’s on the sign outside the restaurant. maybe the proprietors have a mixed German and French heritage. I’ll ask the next time I am there.

This is a little tiny place in Spring City—a town that time forgot for a while—that serves surprisingly good German food. @Buhbye somehow got his photo up on the wall. Nothing wrong with that, Rocker, but don’t you agree that the signed dedication on the photo was a bit much?

Second time Spring City has been mentioned. This just happens to be my family homestead from the late 1850s when danish and english immigrant families were encouraged to settle. My father was born there and lived his early life there. My paternal great great grandparents were born in Denmark and England and immigrated to Spring City after joining the LDS church and am a descendant of someone actually shot in the Black Hawk war. As a kid in the 70s and a young adult in the 80s we would visit thrice yearly, family reunions, deer hunting with my uncles and wood cutting to stock for the fireplace in the winter. Though a small town bypassed by the main road from Mt Pleasant to Manti, there has always been activity there. Never a ghost town, nor a town that time forgot, just a sleepy town that the main thoroughfare passed.

BTW, not meant personally towards you LAUte, just wanted to set the record straight.

1 Like

Fair enough. We spend lots of time there and the locals tell us the place “practically“ became a ghost town after 89 bypassed it. They say that’s why so many vintage homes are still there. That’s what I meant by “the town that time forgot.” It wasn’t a knock on the town. That highway bypass has made the place’s rebirth possible. Now the town is booming as people buy those properties and restore them. I believe that process has only begun. We’re actually looking at real estate there. We love the place.

The town’s wealth of impressive structures is due to its talented early designers and builders, as well as to the fact that the population decreased in every decade from 1900 to 1970, reducing the need to destroy older structures. Spring City’s remarkable LDS meetinghouse, or tabernacle, and city hall–both limestone edifices–and its spectacular Victorian elementary school and bishop’s storehouse–both of brick–are among its most important public buildings. The unique Greek Revival “endowment house,” Schofield store, Orson Hyde house, Behunin, Monson, Johnson, and Ericksen residences–all of fine masonry construction–also are outstanding. In addition, Spring City possesses a good collection of early log, adobe, and frame structures, including several “urban” barns and other agricultural and livestock outbuildings–many of which sit within a few hundred feet of Main Street.

https://www.uen.org/utah_history_encyclopedia/s/SPRING_CITY.shtml

Also, fair enough, thanks for clarifying. My family is quite proud of its Spring City heritage and so my ears perk up every time it is mentioned.

1 Like

Do you know the story of the beautiful LDS chapel there and how it was almost demolished in the early 60s? It’s a great one. (Your ancestors probably helped build that amazing thing.)

Roger’s is good - but I miss Casey’s Cafe on Main St in Mt. Pleasant. Loved their burgers and fries.

Yes, great story, you might even say “faith promoting”. My great grandfather was the postmaster, the head of the local co-op and a partner in the mercantile that became the Schofield Mercantile.

1 Like