CB in Meltdown

I think that in a few years, maybe not many, they will be like the service academies (Air Force, Army, Navy). Standing for something will be more important than their actual success on the field. They will be scrappy and competitive, usually having a winning record against lesser competition, and now and then they will have a good team that plays in a nice little bowl. I believe the church leadership will be perfectly happy with that result, and the younger generation of BYU fans will become accustomed to it and will except it.

4 Likes

I think that is a wonderful place to be. Nothing wrong with memories of dominance and national merit.
Play them every 3or 4 years. Makes for a nostalgia game, not a chore.

2 Likes

I’d say the business side of the game hurt Kalani.

Like people have already said, he should have gotten his contract extension and pay from Chris Hill. When that didn’t happen, in my opinion, it short-circuited his growth because instead of staying and learning from Kyle he had to take a better offer elsewhere. Fast forward and he’s brought in too early to be a head coach and especially to do so at that dumpster fire down there. They don’t need a coach, they need the second coming to happen and wipe out football being a thing.

I think he would have turned out fine as a D-Coordinator and future Head Coach along the lines that Morgan is headed. But that’s just my thoughts on it.

1 Like

The lamentations of their women. That’s a great line. Nicely done.

4 Likes

It is fun to watch…like the lord of the flies.

3 Likes

I hesitate to get into this because it’s such a controversial subject, but Chris Hill says his position was standard in the PAC-12 at the time. FWIW.

1 Like

I don’t understand the controversy. Hasn’t Chris Hill’s decision proven to have been the right one?

4 Likes

I say again, there is nothing worse than watching your season end before Labor Day. With no conference championship to vie for, and the only shot to landing in a NY6 or CFP game tied to running the table undefeated, East Provo is a ship going nowhere fast.

I scratched my head when Sitake took the job; but the job may be turning into the Hotel California on him. I hope it doesn’t,

5 Likes

I love watching fans of the train wreck down south lose their f’ing minds.

6 Likes

It’s ironic that I took my position with my current company back in 1994 right when things in the rivalry were starting to turn. So I no longer see any of boasting bragging BYU fans from my previous company.

1 Like

So all of the success can be attributed to you working for your current company. You must never leave your job. Ever.

3 Likes

Yes, and I know Kyle’s bags were packed and ready to move to $C. That’s not a guess, that’s a know. (No, I won’t say how.)

Kyle was surprised when they last second changed and gave it to Helton. He was that mad at the overall situation at Utah, Chris Hill being at forefront.

That LaVell Edwards-thing was the right person at the right time in the right era. Never gonna happen again. That bottle ain’t catching any more lightning.

4 Likes

Yup, and all of the other teams in the league were low-dollar programs except Utah, who under Arnie Ferrin abandoned football in favor of funding basketball. So byu effectively doubled the salary of other coaching staffs in the WAC and could afford better facilities. Add in an innovative Offense and there you have it–the secret to their success through the ‘Good Old Days’ of the 70s/80s.

Now byu is far behind the curve on money (this caliber of coaches), stuck with good MWC recruits but playing a much tougher schedule than before, and a fan base expecting miracles.

The sooner they accept their place a the Liberty University of the West, the sooner they will better off they will be.

6 Likes

So fitting. So perfect.

5 Likes

Liberty is probably more liberal than byu-provo.

12 Likes

And I saw an article recently that claimed AFA was contemplating going the independent route like BYU. It could work for them with the government backing them.

If I were them I would wait to see how then next round of negotiations goes. I have a feeling it will be tougher for BYU to get a lucrative contract in the future.

3 Likes

Doesn’t the state legislature technically want the Utah AD to prop up BYU sports? Lol!

1 Like

Unlike you, I feel a little ashamed, in light of all that Tom Holmoe and his predecessors did to promote sports at Utah, USU, and the rest. No, wait…

6 Likes