BYU basketball makes history

“Cougars coach Mark Pope didn’t set out to make history with the change but says it’s ‘good for BYU’”

[LOL. Good for Mark Pope, he means.]

Good thing they won that game. Imagine the backlash if they had lost.

6 Likes

Is there another school in the country where the fans know or give a rat’s ■■■ about the religious composition of their athletic teams?

11 Likes

An excellent question. I thought the story and the headline were strikingly odd.

4 Likes

The closest I can find would be Liberty U, and their litmus test is “Are you a Christian?” My guess is there are probably a few more Christian Universities with selective enrollment with that question.

As diversity and inclusion tend to be an “in name only” thing at these religious private schools, is it a thing? Who really knows.

2 Likes

The great central internal conflict for BYU is that they emphasize how much higher their standards are than those of “the world,” and yet they crave the world’s approval. “We’re better than you, but we want your approval.” So when their basketball team starts only “others,” it attracts attention from the news media. Weird.

9 Likes

They are so starved for positive affirmation of their religious identity, that it is tied to all aspects of life, even the teams they cheer for. I grew up and went to school at a Lutheran college in the midwest and knew kids that went to Notre Dame and other Jesuit schools in the area. I don’t remember anyone ever asking or caring about the religion of the kids on any of the teams. Weird is a good word for it.

3 Likes

“Hey everybody, look how diverse we are”

2 Likes

Congrats on your 3rd Pac12 win

Pac12 results:
BYU 2-0
uofu 3-12?

Our gentiles aren’t as good as your gentiles.

3 Likes

Says the guy who was recently chastising people for not staying on topic…

4 Likes

since 1950 BYU has a winning record against 2 of the 12 current PAC12 schools (Stanford and ASU).

A losing record against 9 of them and a .500 record against Colorado

2 Likes

Maybe a movie like Glory Road should be made about this team.

5 Likes

Patting themselves on the back for being decades late.

1 Like

They aren’t going anywhere even with their perceived roster changes.

Something tells me the NIT awaits them.

That said, unless we get rolling and win out, including the PAC-12 tourney, the sofa watching the tournaments awaits.