BYE week so please allow the distraction - Kalani Sitake

There is a lot of chatter about Jay Hill coming down from Weber State. But I have to think he has his sights on a bigger program, and that type of program will come calling when he takes Weber deep into the playoffs again this year.

1 Like

This year was very clean, but the truth is Utah has been the team landing many of the cheap shots the last few times we played. Didn’t Marquise Blair get ejected in two straight games against them?

2 Likes

I do have to wonder why anybody would want that job. I am sure there are some people, but it’s a very tiny slice of the coaching talent pool.

1 Like

They (the school admin and AD) still try to sell the job as a church calling, and thus is the coach’s DUTY to take the job and be successful.

1 Like

Zeous is right. A win at a top ten Wiscy is a huge win. No one wins there. USC and at Tennessee. I know the Vols are down but those three alone are PAC, B1G and SEC wins. We would have made a graveyard movie about those.

2 Likes

Those are all fine wins, but we’re still waiting for BYU to beat a top 25 team as an independent.That’s always been the dividing line between a true quality win vs beating up on someone in a down year. Bronco never did it. Kalani could be the first to do it with the USC win this season, depending on how the Trojans do from here on out.

If Kalani were to be canned, what’s the over under on Whit finding room for him?

1 Like

Well, Whit is loyal to his friends. (See: Gary Anderson.) I think the DC job is Scalley’s for as long as he wants it. I hope Kalani goes to a Weber State or SUU next, so he can position himself to be a HC at a G5 program where he can succeed.

1 Like

Craig Bohl led NDSU to three consecutive title games, and he ended up at Wyoming. I don’t think Jay Hill could do better than BYU from Weber, and he wouldn’t get that caliber of job if not for the religious requirement they have. You don’t see FCS coaches jumping into P5 jobs.

I thought the same thing about Mark Pope, but he took the Y job.

Basketball is a whole 'nother animal.

1 Like

From Wikipedia

Michael Bruce Price (born April 6, 1946) is a former American football coach. He was the head coach at Weber State College from 1981 to 1988, Washington State University from 1989 to 2002, and the University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP) from 2004 to 2012. Price returned to UTEP as interim head coach for the final seven games of the 2017 season. He was hired at the University of Alabama in December 2002, but was fired before coaching a game in 2003.

Alabama fired him for acting like a redneck. Go figure

Wisconsin was ranked number 6.

1 Like

They finished unranked though, which is what counts.

2 Likes

I don’t think we see many FCS coaches jumping straight into an FBS position, so I don’t know what better job might be available to Jay. USU would be a better job, but Gary isn’t leaving soon. Jay will have the benefit of seeing how things have worked for Kalani and should know that it won’t be any better for him.

2 Likes

I was thinking more of a P5 coordinator spot for Jay Hill. Similar money, fewer systemic weaknesses, and similar money but without the HC headaches.

Jay was offered the DC position at Utah before it was given to Morgan and turned it down. A P5 coordinator makes significantly more than an FCS HC.

2 Likes

I caught former BYU player Will Snowden on 1280 the Zone today and he was running through a laundry list of excuses why playing football at BYU is harder than most places. On his list were factors like players being married, some have children, church callings, and then he dropped Family Home Evening. :rofl:

Priceless - FHE - That taffy ain’t going to pull itself come Monday.

3 Likes

J Hill was the opposite of Kalani back in the UM and early KW days - very unpopular in the football building. He also whined a lot about how “if I only caught those 7 interceptions my senior year I woulda been in the league”.

Maybe KW saw the potential in him if the story above that he was offered DC spot is true. Not saying it isn’t, I just had never heard that. But he was not regarded as a good coach at the time, was the general opinion around the building. Maybe that was all wrong. I have no knowledge of individual opinions of course. Good for him making the most of the Weber job. I’m glad he’s had success. I’ll be curious to see if he can replicate it at another program.

1 Like

I like him but i really would hope this wouldn’t happen.

3 Likes