Bring Down the Bruins! Utah vs UCLA Basketball Thread

Effort & hustle by every player was off the charts tonight. We probably wont see another game like this for a generation against a basketball blue blood.

4 Likes

Any time you double up a team it’s a beat down. When you do it scoring 90? Animal cruelty statutes are consulted.

We had FIVE guys in double figures. They had zero.

Keita got this party started, then everyone got on the floor.

Keba & Bajema with 14, BC with 12, Gabe & Deivon with 11, Lovering just missed being the 6th with nine. When you shoot how we did, it’s going to be similar on the boards. We got 50(!) they had 28.

Really not much to say about this game. UCLA’s on a serious skid, and we got our home mojo back. Need to convert it to some road mojo - at Stanford on Sunday at 3p.

5 Likes

Heard on the postgame that tonight was the second worse loss in UCLA basketball history. As Sophie Lennon would say, “Put that on your plate!”

7 Likes

I wondered the same thing.

Run up the score! That’s the in thing. How do you think BYU is rated #4 in the NET when they’ve only won 1 Q1 game? They’ve routed pansies.

3 Likes

Didn’t UA do the same to us? I didn’t watch that game.

1 Like

I know this has been addressed before, but the PA guy needs a visit from Joe Pesci and Ray Liotta! He’s awful ! I’m guessing he’s some huge donors nephew that needed a job .

3 Likes

This is UCLA’s first double-digit loss of the season.

4 Likes

And what a double digit loss it was

Can someone direct me to where the boo-birds went? Last week the sky was falling and this team had given up and we weren’t even going to the NIT. I mean, one game also doesn’t make us world beaters and we need to win on the road, but geez people swing their emotions pretty far based on one or two games.

2 Likes

This was a different guy. I liked him a helluva lot better than the guy that we’ve had for the last three years. He didn’t do those campy, growling noises.

1 Like

Epic victory last night against a fabled program that had beaten Utah seven straight times, and here’s the pathetic treatment it got from the SL Tribune:

So, after not covering Utah’s first three conference games at all, they’ve now published two minimal stories in a row that have no real by-line and, frankly, smack of AI sampling an ESPN or AP story.

I sure am missing Josh Newman.

5 Likes

Yup. Both DN and KSL do a much more comprehensive work.

1 Like

I don’t even read the Trib’s sports page anymore.

2 Likes

I do, but it usually only takes a minute or so.

3 Likes

My Pop and I used to kid and say The Salt Lake Trbunes motto was " Yesterdays news Tomorrow "

5 Likes

Maybe they should have the Hunty announcer attend some Utah Jazz games and listen to Dan Roberts (who has been the Jazz arena announcer since they moved frrom New Orleans into the Salt Palace back in 1979.) Dan has the right amount of excitement without being overbearing, and doesn’t feel the need to start chants on his own (should let the CROWD do that or at least let the cheerleaders, band, or MUSS start that sort of thing).

1 Like

I think they’re doing what the employer asks. They’re desperately trying to get the atmosphere better up there. It’s sad how badly it’s fallen off. On the postgame Craig Smith was so thankful for the MUSS, yet it was as just a single section all in the lower bowl. It made me sad remembering how as students we used to fill sections A through F nearly every game in the late 70s/early 80s. You tell people about that now and they don’t believe that those were ever the student sections.

4 Likes

The announcer was different & better than the person (Mr scream into the mike) who has been doing the games all year. But it was a low bar.

Yes, MUSS was less than some years, but a huge improvement from the rest of this season. And they made noise. Place was rocking.

A funny moment was when they were doing some shooting contest during a break & the fan who was shooting kept missing on 3’s & the ball bounced off the rim straight into the UCLA team as they were sitting & Cronin was trying to talk to them. It happened several times & once hit an assistant coach on the head.

2 Likes