Best pizza places in Salt Lake City

There have been posts about this before, and today I saw this article ranking the top six. Are they right? What does everyone think?

I’m asking because after a long time away, we moved back to the Salt Lake area, but almost right away, Covid hit before we had a chance to get reacquainted with the town. So I’m learning about things like restaurants.

Can’t be complete without including Litza’s.

2 Likes

People won’t want my recommendation due to the fact that I’m a cheap date when it comes to pizza. I actually prefer the Cowboy pizza from Papa Murphy’s.

4 Likes

The fact that Slackwater isn’t on the list is an immediate disqualification.

5 Likes

Has it changed much over the last 50 years?

1 Like

Our university pub will always be number 1.

9 Likes

Litza’s is a beloved local institution… but in terms of quality of pizza, not just mass consumptio-attraction, it comes up lacking. It is put to shame by Rusted Sun, Settebello, etc. Even The Pie can curbstomp it in a competition. But I still like to go hang out there from time to time and enjoy what they’re offering.

2 Likes

I can personally and somewhat authoritatively vouch for Settebello. THe simple classic american concept of pizza is what the Neapolitans invented in the 1800s. Flatbread dishes have been around since Sumeria, so let’s not start THAT crap again. LOL

Having been stationed in Bella Napoli form July 1987- June 1991 I became infatuated with Pizza in Napoli, and the famous Caprese Salad invented on the island of Capri. Also you cant really have a Neapolitan pie without sparkling mineral water - it’s an obligatory pairing and doesnt have any of the flavor clashes wine can have depending on the toppings. Pretty much everything used in makign the pizzas save a few locally sourced toppings (basil, veggies, etc) comes from the Campania reagion - canned tomatoes, olive oil, specially ground flour, mozzarella di bufala, provoline, etc. EVEN THE PIZZA OVENS were made in that region and shipped over.

Settebello is one of a limited number of chains/solo places certified by the V.P.N. [trust me they had the initials before the tech innovation]: Verace Pizza Napoletana - a legal entity from Italy that acts as a filter for the product (think of all the agencies in Europe that ironclad the Parmigiano, Champagne, etc designations). see here - AVPN - The True Neapolitan Pizza Association

EVERY. SINGLE. PERSON. I have ever taken there has walked out blown away. Doesn’t hurt to have an authentic Gelateria thru the door on the side.

4 Likes

The best pizza I have had recently was the one I made with a Boboli, Mozzarella cheese, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and fresh tomatoes, basil, and green onions from my garden.

3 Likes

The thing we are lacking in SLC that exists more in the midwest and east are the small family pizzerias that have been run by the same family for generations. They all have their own approach to making pizza and generally make their sauces from old family recipes. Large Italian families seem to have stayed east of the Mississippi.

2 Likes

Since they included a pizzeria in Bountiful, I’ll add that my favorite pizza is Z Brothers in NSL, Bountiful, and Layton. It won’t win points for authenticity, just really good ingredients made well.

They have a great lunch special with a giant slice, salad or breadstick, and a drink for about 12 bucks. I recommend their Big Z (although I pick off the mushrooms)

1 Like

When cooked in the Traeger it’s as good anything else out there.

We really really like Nomad East

I’m a fan of Bricks Corner. Good Detroit style.

1 Like

Settebello. I can’t believe I agree with the Deseret News on something.

2 Likes

Were making our own now that we have a newer oven that can go to 500°. It’s great to have super fresh tomatoes and our home-made pesto.

1 Like

the ovens at Settebello (and any truly decent Neapolitan style pizeria) are fired up (heh) to about 950 - 1000 degrees up in the top of the dome on tem… it allows the pizzas to cook in less than 3 - 4 minutes… It’s also why the very best pizzas come with that little char on the bottom… Talk about adding a flavor element of depth

4 Likes

I understand and agree.
We are in negotiation for an outdoor pizza oven-because we love it so much. Not sure why that matters though. I think trad-wood burning ovens just run high (like saunas)
Currently our pies take 14 minutes.
That’s the BTU differentiation.
Any physics guys want opine?
FWIW we do like super hot saunas, so…

3 Likes