ASU game - dark mode

Without looking anything up—just from memory:
2011 in SLC: day
2012 in Boulder: day (that’s the game when Reggie Dunn answered CU’s game-tying kick return with one of his own late in the contest)
2013 in SLC: day
2014 in Boulder: day
2015 in SLC: day
2016 in Boulder: night
2017 in SLC: night
2018 in Boulder: day
2019 in SLC: night
2020 in Boulder: day
2021 in SLC: day
2022 in Boulder: day

2 Likes

The early start time tomorrow definitely allows for a nice evening on the town after the game. I am thinking a roadie to Banzai Teppan Yaki for some Tempura and sashimi.

The last 3 @ CU games I’ve been to have been during the day

We had endzone seats and were maybe 20 yards behind Reggie, chanting his name and he delivered. He even turned his head and acknowledged us and the fans chanting his name. That was awesome. 42-35. Game over (ok, 8 minutes for neither team to get another point). I just looked at pics - my kids were so little!

Blowout - 3rd row seats were CHEAP

I think this was the game that was COLD and snowing 1st half, sunny and pleasant 2nd half

1 Like

My bad, at least 8 of the last 11 (73%) have been day games, which I seem to be remembering and forgetting the 3 night games.

1 Like

Such a cool moment.

4 Likes

Incredible play. It was his fourth kickoff return for a TD of that season and the fifth of his career (all 100 yards, an NCAA record). I can’t believe anyone ever kicked to him. Dunn averaged 51 yards a return in 2012, which would have been the highest average in NCAA history, but he didn’t have enough returns to qualify.

3 Likes

With ASU coming up, I am reminded that this was the first opponent I saw Utah play in person in PAC-12 play. It wasn’t a banner day for Utah, a 35-14 loss. But there are some other memorable Utah–ASU games. Both the 2015 and 2016 games were fun. 2015 was Utah’s first win over ASU not only in PAC-12 play but since 1976. In 2016, Utah won at ASU 49-26, getting 181 yards from Joe Williams and picking up 11 sacks (five from Hunter Dimick). The 2019 win, 21-3, was notable as well. Utah held Jayden Daniels to 4 of 18 passing for 25 yards.

Maybe the biggest win in the series history was before my time in 1973. ASU was ranked 8th in the nation and would end up finishing 9th. Utah give the Sun Devils their only loss of the year by beating them 36-31. Utah jumped out to a 30-10 win and forced 10(!) ASU turnovers. There were a total of 16 fumbles in the game.

Utah almost put together the biggest comeback in school history in 1985 at ASU. In Jim Fassel’s first year, Utah was down 34-0 heading into the fourth quarter. The Utes reeled off 27 in a row and then scored again late on a TD run by Eddie Johnson. Unfortunately, a holding call brought it back, and that killed the drive.

I guess plenty more games against the Sun Devils are ahead in the Big 12.

1 Like

Whit - “I have no idea why they kicked to Reggie Dunn… but I’m glad they did”

3 Likes

Whatever happened to Reggie ?

Was wondering the same thing. I think he hung around the NFL for a year or two. I had thought he would be a good returner at the next level; he sure was here.

I went to that game. My one and only PAC road trip.

Well damn, I guess somehow I managed to attend the only three that were night games lol. 2019 was definitely the most memorable of those… Huntley, Moss and co ran all over their D. Felt like we could have scored a hundred points if we wanted.

2 Likes

Reggie’s on staff with the Utes: https://utahutes.com/staff-directory/reggie-dunn/694

5 Likes

Still one of the most painful losses in memory.

First year in the P12 and we would have made the P12 title game (because of USC’s sanctions) if we won against a 2-10 CU team that was on a 23-game road losing streak. Cole Peterson missed 3 FGs on the day after hitting the most in the P12 during the season) in a 17-14 loss. Wolfman was shooting to break the single season rushing record, but left with an injury after just 28 yards rushing.

Just a brutal loss.

6 Likes

Got invited and going to the game tomorrow. Going to the tailgate, as well. Actually, I’m not all that excited about it. First, CFB has really turned me off to the game. Second, feels like the entire day is just wasted. :grin:

1 Like

I’m in St George today for daughter’s state marching band competition, so I won’t get to go to, watch, or even listen to the game. :cry: The ESPN tracker will have to be my friend, I guess.

On the plus side, I gave my tix to a neighbor who is taking all three of his kids to their very first Utah game. Hopefully make some new lifelong fans!

7 Likes

Hope you kid’s band rocks the house…and the Utes rock bASUra back to the Stone Age.

Ahhhh, marching band. Without that and the early morning stage (jazz) band, I probably would not have had nearly as much fun in high school :grinning:

I don’t understand any of this band stuff (I played soccer and rugby in HS) but she’s having SO much fun with it in her first year. They all look like they’re having a blast.

Been fun to watch her come out of her shell and really get into something.

3 Likes

:clap: :raised_hands:

1 Like