Astros, Red Sox cheating scandals

As a Dodgers fans this makes me mad. As a MLB fan it makes me sad.

The Houston Asteriskros.

1 Like

Boston Red Soxerisks

1 Like

The whole MLB ought to have a big asterisk dropped on it. PED’s, electronics used for stealing signs, juiced baseballs, umpire scandals…not good.

It makes you almost wish for the Back Sox and Pete Rose.

2 Likes

When you look at the revenues the team made from the sale of logo gear, and the other revenues that came in the door from winning the WSC, a $5 million fine is a small pothole to the organization.

If the MLB were serious, they would’ve fined them $50 million and banned the members of the organization from coaching, managing, or the head office for life, including the bench coach that bounced to the Red Sox.

If proven to have happened in Boston, too. They need a similar whack.

If they can ban Shoeless Joe, they can ban these guys.

3 Likes

I just read in an article on ESPN that according to the MLB constitution (didn’t even know that exists), $5M is the largest fine that can be levied against a team. Sounds like the commissioner’s hands were tied…

3 Likes

OK, I think it’s obvious which team I cheer for. Just look left.
That being said… I cannot WAIT to see what happens to that sanctimonious, smug, pretentious ass otherwise known as Alex Cora.
I’m not your normal Yankee fan - I actually like many players on the Red Sox, and am friends with many Red Sox fans. I’ve sat side-by-side with them in Yankee stadium and had fun during games.
But Alex Cora has ALWAYS rubbed me the wrong way, as both a coach and a player.
This is one time where I really hope they throw the phone booth at him.

I’ve been waiting since 1988 for my Dodgers to get a World Series championship. This feels like we should have one each from 2017 and 2018. The 2017 World Series is particularly infuriating since the Dodgers were up 3-2 heading back to Dodger Stadium. Did the cheating help the Astros win? Who knows, but the total collapse of the Dodgers is now very suspicious.

It makes what the Nats did last year even more interesting, since they may have had to overcome the same cheating.

Red Sox…is there something in the water in Boston that encourages cheating?

One has to wonder. Yu Darvish was a pretty good pitcher, and suddenly the Astros hit everything he threw in one of the most amazing meltdowns by a MLB pitcher ever. Many, many observers theorized the explanation that Darvish was somehow tipping his pitches. Like I said, one has to wonder what was really happening. When All-Star level hitters know what pitch is coming, it’s more like batting practice than a competition.

Another thing I’ve been thinking about — every member of the Astros knew darn well what was happening. It wasn’t limited to the top brass. And yet they all danced around and drank the champagne and put on their World Champion rings, and they all kept the secret. Sickening.

3 Likes

Alex Cora was a coach with the Astros in 2017 and helped set up the sign-stealing system. He became the Red Sox manage the next season. Word is he’s facing serious discipline too for 2017, and there’s a lot of reasonable suspicion that he took his tactics from the Astros to the Sox in 2018. We’ll see what comes out.

1 Like

Bill Plaschke with a great column.

3 Likes

He’s right. They stole the title from LA.

1 Like

…and Cora just got sacked by the Saux.

1 Like

Yep. This right here. If it were up to me, there would be punishment for every single player, coach, ballboy, garbage can attendant and parking lot security officer that knew about this. They are ALL complicit in cheating.

2 Likes

They did, but they also stole it from the Yankees (who knows who would have won the World Series at that point?).

1 Like

True. The Astros cheated all season long and everyone in the AL has a beef with them. The should be required to give up all their awards and titles – World Series championship and trophy, AL pennant, MVP awards, Cy Young, whatever any of them got.

4 Likes

This. You can throw around all the dollar amounts that could be levied as fines, but unless it’s in the upper 8 figures, none of that matters. There’s so much money flowing around that makes no difference at all. You take away things that they “worked” for, such as titles or individual awards? Well, that may wake some people up.

2 Likes

"The Red Sox issued a statement on Tuesday from principal owner John Henry, chairman Tom Werner and CEO Sam Kennedy indicating that after reviewing Manfred’s report, “… We collectively decided that it would not be possible for Alex to effectively lead the club going forward and we mutually agreed to part ways. This is a sad day for us. Alex is a special person and a beloved member of the Red Sox. We are grateful for his impact on our franchise. We will miss his passion, his energy and his significant contributions to the communities of New England and Puerto Rico.”

This definitely changes my view of of the Red Sox Organization permanently, and not in a positive way.