Arizona Coyotes to Utah

The Taffy

1 Like

I think this is a well written article that might highlight the difference between Scheels out in an old field and major disruption and change downtown.
Planning Commission sends unanimous ‘No’ to city council on SEG sports and entertainment rezone - Building Salt Lake

2 Likes

Government assistance was used as a political weapon for decades and decades, denigration and shame on those who received it. The stereotype: welfare queens, driving Cadillacs and eating government cheese, watching color TV.

Said elsewhere: The assertion is the confession

3 Likes

We live in a “market” economy where corporate welfare is good and actual welfare (which costs far less) is bad. :man_facepalming::man_facepalming::man_facepalming:

Down is up. :man_shrugging::man_shrugging::man_shrugging:

4 Likes

My biggest concern is the impact on what remains of Japantown Street. The building of the Salt Palace destroyed most of the original Japantown. The community has been working very hard to preserve what is left. I have personally enjoyed attending festivals and events in that area several times a year. I will personally join in any protest or opposition movement that helps to maintain and revitalize this important space for this long time community. I am a big hockey fan but some things are more important. As long as the SEG development does not adversely impact Japantown street I am ok with it.

5 Likes

I attended a funeral at the Japanese Church of Christ a couple of months ago, which piqued an interest.

Sure, I saw some ball games at the old Salt Palace, smiled at the pigeons loose inside.

Maybe there’s a need for falconry after all!” - Heh

I had no idea there were 2000 people who lived in Japan town, SLC.

Like Vonnegut’s character Kilgore Trout said, “It’s the past which scares the bejesus out of me!

My parents had season tickets in basketball for multiple decades, as a teenager I sat next to Wat Misaka’s brother Tats, who was a funny, very cool guy. I asked him about growing up Japanese in Utah - he was from Corrinne (I believe), his family came with the railroad. Like his brother’s story, they were part of Utah’s fabric, he had a pretty normal upbringing, picked up smoking as a teenager. Wat Misaka was the first player of color drafted into the NBA.

Tats made it a point to let me know he & his family didn’t have to go to Topaz. “That was the California Japanese, not us”.

I didn’t get the sense he had an axe to grind, or anything, but just felt like that distinction needed to be made.

2 Likes

It is interesting that you bring up the railroad. At the Japan Festival this spring they had a photo exhibit about Japanese involvement in the railroad and there were numerous old photos from places like Helper, Ogden, Henefer, etc. of Japanese people who worked on the railroad. Some of them wound up being detained later during the war but others were not. There has been a plan in the works for a while to add some improvements to the street and solidify the ability of the community including the Buddhist temple and the Christian Church there to keep going and holding events and protect the small garden there as well.

I really hope Ryan Smith gets on board with making sure that this historic part of the city is preserved.

5 Likes

Utah Hockey Club’s first ever draft pick (#6) overall, Tij Iginla already knows what’s up leaving the draft last night.

5 Likes

His father, Jarome, was an amazing player. Most of what I’ve read about the kid is he is an offensive machine, but needs work on his defensive skills and physicality.

Good draft choice.

Did I miss some sort of rebranding with the Delta Center? I’ve always heard it with the word “the” in front of it. I.e., “The Jazz play at the Delta Center.” But it seems like all of the new hockey personalities call it just Delta Center (which, granted, most of them are from outside of Utah). I.e. “He played well in last night’s game at Delta Center.” Maybe I’m getting old, but it just sounds like nails on a chalkboard when I hear it.

I realize sports are kind of a mixed bag in this regard. You wouldn’t say, playing at “the Madison Square Garden” or “the Wrigley Field.” But you would say that for “the LA Coliseum” or “the United Center.”

Just wondering if others had noticed this, too, or had thoughts on it.

It feels like a “we don’t know how to say the name” situation here. Then again, with all of the changes that are coming to the downtown area, who knows.

2 Likes

This might be an effort to head off the French Canucks calling it “le Centre Delta” or something equally explosively provocative.

The last thing we need are a bunch of monster truck guys defiantly setting the NHL straight on… well… anything.

2 Likes

Downtown is a mess … the commute sucked … never liked Hockey now I loathe it.

2 Likes

It never had a “The”.

Fans have always said that. When the naming rights came back media took notice and many stopped using “The”

1 Like

All I know is that Ryan Smith better be paying for these flyovers. It is freaking out a lot of people and dogs in our neighborhood.

2 Likes

He won’t be. It comes out of the AF’s training budget.

2 Likes

Got a text from my Mom, saying the same thing about her dogs. She lives near-ish to Little Cottonwood.

1 Like

…and we start with a 5-2 win over the Chicago Blackhawks.

This article is a pretty good one. Enjoy

Yup.

Anyone can request these.

It’s just built into the training schedule. They’d be flying with or without the request.

3 Likes