Are the Pac 12 teams a fit for the Big 12?

KSU thinks so, mostly. . .

Click for funny tweet, not displayed due to language in picture.

6 Likes

Wait and see how charming Pennsylvania, Lincoln, Columbus, etc. are in November.

4 Likes

lol - we have a young guy on our team who just graduated from Wisky in '21.

I asked him how the winter was here. “What winter? It was pretty nice, actually”

Everything is relative…

3 Likes

I believe it’s the solemn duty of every fan of the former PAC12 teams to kick Larry Scott squarely in the nuts upon encountering him in the wild. The gofundme for legal assistance will easily top $100k

4 Likes

I don’t think I own a winter jacket. Those places will be cold, but not cold enough to make me miss the feces and needle laden streets of Berkeley & San Francisco.

FTFO!

3 Likes

You must hang out in weird parts of town…

2 Likes

Perversely drawn to them?

1 Like

You’ll give up the needles of Berkeley & San Fran for the meth of the midwest. It’s a toss-up really.

3 Likes

If the best two scenarios don’t work out, this would be acceptable:

5 Likes

I can see one or two other workable options, as long as we all agree not to move the red line at the point of the mountain :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Acceptable only if we don’t have to be stuck playing byu every year. Mix it up a little.

3 Likes

So, BIG12 fans (getting Grima Wormtongued by our BYU friends) are gettin’ mighty upset that Utah is less than thrilled at the prospect of joining their truckstop conference.

Good. Screw those guys. Screw the midwest. It’s villain time BAYBEEEEE!!!

Now, to be clear, I don’t actually believe this. I just think these fans are being lame and dumb for Utah being more upset that their conference is crumbling around them and being less than thrilled at the possibility of joining the BIG12.

3 Likes

This.

If they’ve done their homework, looked at the long & wide trail of angry conference mates in BYU’s wake from the WCC, to the MWC, to the WAC, going all the way back to the Sports Illustrated article about The Most Hated Team in America, they’ll have some understanding of what they have coming.

I knew they’d piss everyone off in the WCC, but it was sadly amusing to see fan reactions last year. “Thank GOD almighty they’re leaving!” The WCC fans get it.

It’s hard for somebody to change their personality, and it’s extraordinarily difficult to change culture. Any 3rd grader would know that we’ve had a front row seat for so long, so we have an intensity in insight on this issue few other programs have.

I had to laugh looking at CB yesterday - somebody mentioned Wyoming would be a good school to invite, and there were a few who chirped along in agreement. They would have no idea what hit them if they drove to Laramie to pitch this idea.

“That was weird. I don’t understand the anger. Where did that come from?”

In fairness, I think the Cougs have been chastened a bit by being in the wilderness all those years, but they haven’t really changed, because it’s in their DNA, it’s in their belief system about BYU.

They’ll offend everyone in the B12, it’s inevitable. It’s like a law of physics.

Right now they’re projecting their own offensiveness onto Utah, but all the MWC fans I’ve talked to after we left said they understood why we went to the PAC, and we then shared stories about how fundamentally detestable BYU was, kind of a bonding in departing.

16 Likes

Sorry for this analogy. But for anyone who wants to know what dealing with byu is like. It is like kissong your cousin. No one likes it, it is awkward, and you feel worse off than when you started. (For the record i have no personal experience in this) (Also those in the sec and big12 might argue this especially byu)

The PAC and the schools have a couple of years to figure this out. If the PAC decides to stay in operation, I hope they use a template of the contract the ACC used to get everyone locked in. You can’t sell a shifting sand dune to the TV guys and hope to get the money.

2 Likes

If we’re headed for super conferences, does Arizona State or Arizona make the cut? If they don’t believe they will, the Big 12 appears more stable by virtue of having no teams that would get poached in the first two or three round of consolidation (if any, ever)

The Arizonas could actually control their own destiny rather than have it dictated to the by notre dame and Stanford. They kill the pac to increase their bargaining power in the big 12 (just based on inventory) and take care of themselves with more steady cash flow.

(They also avoid the unequal payouts that are coming to the acc and even the pac if those two conferences try and survive with some “outside the box” payouts to take care of their “best properties”)

1 Like

But who would be our assigned rival? :wink:

1 Like

Thursday morning circus update:

1. The amount of BS flying around on all this is really stunning. What people will do for some clicks is kind of embarrassing. Example: Yesterday someone named Brian Swain (?) - who allegedly is some kind of insider or knowledgeable source - claimed newspapers in Tucson, Phoenix and Denver would announce those 3 schools are going to the B12 “tomorrow”. This morning? No such newspaper claims exist.

2. Today the rumor flying is that UNC (and/or Virginia), Clemson, Florida State and/or Miami are leaving the ACC for the SEC, and will announce soon.

Report: Florida State among multiple teams expected to join SEC - Sports Illustrated Florida State Seminoles News, Analysis and More

IF that ends up being factual, that would put the ball in the B1G court to escalate further, presumably with UW and UO having big smiles.

I’ll believe it when it happens, but there’s your program for understanding today’s CB grade-school recess melee.

3 Likes

I will call it now. The Super conferences model will kill college football, and fairly quickly. Here is how…

1. Big money in the near term will turn into bigger expenses, making the whole thing a net sum zero for the universities that play the game. Sending the non revenue sports to play many time zones away from home is an expensive adventure. Some of these universities were struggling with this BEFORE this most recent realignment. Unless the money totally falls out of the skies on the new media right deals, enough to cover increasing NIL demands and slow the revolving door of the transfer portal some may actually start bleeding money outside the bump in revenue.

2. What about the fans who attend games? Ok folks, we’ve seen the cost escalations in season tickets and “donations” crowding people out of the stadium. If the university has to fall back on this revenue stream as hard as they may have to for operating expenses, pretty soon finding a ticket for a game will become pretty easy. There was a time when ASU and U of A sold out their stadiums regularly. The nay time they do now is when they play one another. U$C and fUCLA never sell out - even when they play one another. Utah may be the “Denver Broncos” of college football, but I still remember a time when getting in to a game was easy, and there were a ton of empty seats. At that time Rice Stadium only seated 32,000, and most of the time we were lucky to get 20,000 out to a game.

3. Media markets are a fickle thing, and bigger doesn’t mean better. Just because they jumped o the B1G doesn’t mean the LA schools are going to make a TV game rating that is profitable to the media covering fall out of the sky. SoCal is famous for not being interested in sports teams…unless they are on trajectory to win it all. If they aren’t, the beach, the parks, and the amusement sights await. It is something the East Coast has absolutely no understanding of…fans who have other interests. Back east, those fans are cutthroat in their support of their teams; and they will attend even if it is to boo them. Out here??? Not so much. I can remember sitting in Rice Eccles at 45,000 seats and seeing empty seats to the deer hunt because we weren’t playing for anything at that point in the season. TV would certainly offer those who chose not to attend another viewing portal; but as we have seen time and time again, if your game is on outside of Prime Time Saturday (11:00 am to 4:30 PM Mountain Time), nobody is really watching. The Super Conferences are going to find when they expand into Thursday and Friday evening slots, and start playing west coast “After Dark” games, their fans will stop watching games in the levels they are watching now. Yes, it is possible to overexpose the product, and the Super Conferences will have to do it to justify the big money.

Yes, this is a big rant. I wished greed wasn’t driving this like a flex bus, but it is. Greed is going to kill athletics in colleges because the golden goose is only one goose, and all efficiencies of the last realignment will be lost.

I hope we win it all just to stick it to these groups with attitude problems.

14 Likes

Ruins rarely say anything worthwhile, but their AD did today; “If you’re standing still, you’re falling behind,”

Utah needs to pick a chair before the music stops.

FTFO!

4 Likes