Any good books that you have read recently?

WE all have some extra time right now so let’s help each other out?

I just finished proof-reading an advance copy of a book a colleague of mine wrote about addressing Unconscious Bias as an organizational leader. It’s really a fantastic read, and I can’t wait for it to officially come out later this year.

I’ve also been re-reading the original Dark Elf trilogy (“Homeland”, “Exile”, and “Sojurn”) by R.A. Salvatore. Haven’t read those since I was a teenager…hard to believe the first book is now 30 years old. They still hold up as fantastic mindless fantasy entertainment.

1 Like

Considering the times, might I suggest:

The Fifth Risk and 1984

1 Like

“We Don’t Make Widgets: Overcoming The Myths That Keep Government From Radically Improving”

An easy read with some really good ideas.

2 Likes

May I suggest for some fun reading:

Robert B. Parker - particularly the “Cole & Hitch” series. Good old cowboy fun

Also anything by Nelson DeMille. Great encounters involving a retired New Your detective

American Red by David Marlett–historical based fiction.

1 Like

Devoted by Dean Koontz

2 Likes

Anyone read “Under the Volcano?”. I’m bogged down after 4 0 pages. Does anything ever happen?

I just finished the Silent Corner by Koontz. Very entertaining.

Read a lot of the "Spensor"series back in the day

The Milagro Beanfield War.

Robert Redford directed the movie in the 80s. I read the book years ago and it’s great, so I decided to read it again. It takes about 60 pages before it really gets good but I can highly recommend it.

A River RunsThrough It?
Cuz that’s a good one too

Oh! I missed the title.
That’s a great book / trilogy.

1 Like

The Backslider by Levi Peterson

About a young Mormon rancher in southern Utah struggling with his religion and the crushing weight of guilt brought on by what some consider sin.

1 Like

I’m about 2/3 of the way through a book I found at the Library and am loving it. It’s The Lost City of the Monkey God. It’s a non-fiction Indiana Jones archeological type expedition of ancient ruins located in Honduras. It’s got some cartel action, lots of encounters with creepy wildlife, and a little speculation about possibly being linked to the Nephites and Lamanites cities of the Book of Mormon. It’s been a fascinating read.

Just finished Rhythm of War, the fourth book in a great fantasy series. I normally don’t like your typical sci-fy Fantasy type books (spaceships/aliens/dragons/wizards/elves…). These books are really well written.

I’ve been trying to read more classics. A few weeks ago for Halloween, I finished Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein. I’d never read it before. I naively thought it was the Universal Pictures monster story, but it’s not, its much better.

Mary Shelley wrote it as a writing competition between her husband and another close friend. Pretty remarkable considering the century it was written and that she was a female.

Loved that book, as good, if not better than Bram Stokers Dracula IMO

1 Like

Not a book, but this year’s copy of The World Ahead by the Economist is out.

I found the articles to be very relevant.

1 Like

I don’t read to kill time but I do write a little. I just finished a rough draft called,
“Chicago Cain-Almost a Serial Killer”.

It’s about a bumbling wanna-be killer who fails at every attempt. In the wake of each attempt something good is usually left behind. Everything from removing dangerous criminals from society, curing herpes, creating jobs, romances being kindled between the unwitting survivors, he even stops a mass shooter and is awarded the key to the city. It was his parents who wanted him to be a killer because they were. Killing is what the Cain dynasty is about, but in the end he becomes addicted to heroism.

Look for it in maybe a year, it’s only 32 pages right now.

1 Like

I just finished the first book of this series, it sure was long! I enjoyed it, but not sure I have the stamina to make it through the entire series.