Anti-Super Bowl thread

Tomorrow will mark the 5th year in a row I won’t be watching “the big game” and it’s for a number of reasons. FYI, I’ve also joined the #lastman competition, if you want to know more about it go here https://lastmangame.fandom.com/wiki/Last_Man-The_Game_About_Avoiding_The_Game_Wiki

I can’t stand the Super Bowl, one reason is the powers that be don’t like when advertisers piggy back by saying the words Super Bowl so they ban the use of the words Super Bowl from anything, including this anti- Super Bowl thread…Super Bowl. I know why they do it, it’s just stupid. Below are my reasons I hate the Super Bowl.

1. Banning the use of the words Super Bowl (already mentioned) forcing people to say “The Big Game”
  2. The event is bigger than the game
  3. When the lady at my work feels compelled to look up “snack ideas for the Big Game” on Pinterest.
  4. Squares, these are only there to force non-football fans to watch the game.
  5. Super Bowl parties. Just another reason for fatties to eat and drunks to drink
  6. Commercials. They aren’t funny and they monopolize the entire evening. Ameritrade and Doritos?
    6a. The shows about the commercials you’ll see during the show.
  7. Half-time show. What a waste of time, usually some has-been performer trying to make a comeback
  8. Non-football fans and their sudden interest, where were you the last 5 months?
  9. The number of bets you can place. The color of Gatorade? How long the national anthem will be?
  10. The non-stop talking about a game from people who shouldn’t be talking about the game. I’m looking at you The View

I’m sure there will be more that I can think of as we go. I know I’m in the minority here but if you agree with me then this is our thread to vent. I get this is a tradition for many people and the game really isn’t of interest to many, it’s more about the get-together. I guess I’m just not a very good consumer.

I can tell you this. Tomorrow afternoon is an amazing time to go to CostCo or shopping, the entire store is wide open.

I haven’t seen any hype. Maybe you should just stop watching The View.

2 Likes

Haha, that was just a random example, not even sure if they talk about it but assuming they do.

I haven’t been overwhelmed this year but I don’t listen to a lot of talk radio and hardly ever watch tv. For all I know the Super Bowl isn’t even a big deal anymore, I block it from my psyche.

I haven’t watched the SB, fully, in years. Last year I was working at local restaurant. Joys of being Sous Chef, at the time. Other years I’ve been doing cycling related stuff, whether rides or working on bikes. Tomorrow? I’ll probably watch some, but spend more time working on bike that I’m designing or maybe hop on computer and play some games. There will be some cooking going on too. Smoking some pork butt, baked beans, and related. The SB was a good excuse to break the smoker out, and make other stuff.

I’ve seen every one. Gotta watch.

1 Like

6 hours of your time
2 hours 11 minutes of advertising
2 hours of pregame talk
29 minutes for halftime
49 minutes of players standing on the field
20 minutes of just showing Joe Montana
11 minutes of actual game play

I will be having my annual Super Bowl tablegate party…and watching Once Upon a Deadpool.

1 Like

Zero nfl watching for me again this year. I did win my fantasy league though.

1 Like

That’s incredible. Winning a fantasy league without watching a single game, quite remarkable.

I watched a total of six minutes of the NFL this year five of those minutes were during the pro bowl last weekend. The other one minute was in the background of a bar I was at.

I don’t hate the NFL I hate the hype machine the NFL has become. I hate the disregard for players health in exchange for billions of dollars. I truly admire NFL athletes for their ability something very amazing. But the advertising juggernaut that has become the NFL and specifically the Super Bowl just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. And quite honestly March madness is only a notch below what the Super Bowl is for advertising annoyances. You can’t watch an NCAA tournament game without being interrupted by advertising every 30 seconds

1 Like

A lot of your reasons for hating the super bowl could be applied to Christmas. For example, a titty might pop out half way through the party, except at the christmas party Justin Timberlake isn’t there to cover up aunt Marcy’s drunken public nudity. Really aunt Marcy, hoop piercings? You’re 73 years old, get it together.

3 Likes

There are serious consequences to idol worship, to borrow a phrase from another context but which can be wholly applied. There is great power in it, regardless which side of the coin one is on. And the NFL is in the business of making idols out of men who have achieved excellence in their focus. Name any other highly commmercialized form of entertainment and it is the same.

Buyer beware.

1 Like

You forgot #11? They stepped on your lawn?

RE your weak number one reason. Try using Starbucks name without recriminations!

Like I said I understand why they do it and I don’t even care that they go after people who exploit it I’m just annoyed that everybody feels they have to relate their product to the Super Bowl just to get some attention so I’m ignoring all of that

2 Likes

i’m with you on that one, I’ve always thought Christmas is a giant exploitation of peoples pocketbooks. It’s much bigger than the Super Bowl and impossible to ignore. I actually try to avoid who won the 2016 election, I don’t even think I made it 24 hours

3 Likes

Exhibit 207

2 Likes

I am watching the new Ted Bundy documentary Amazon made.

I am going to have nightmares tonight.

1 Like

The similar commercialization of Christmas could be seen as religious and cultural subversion, depending how one looks at things. It certainly wasn’t always so, even after the Christian conquest of Northern Europe but especially before that when Yule was still the pagan tradition for the winter solstice.

Haven’t watched an NFL game in 3 years, won’t watch again for the rest of my life. Haven’t watched an NBA game in 4 years. When D-I college sports become full fledged professional (per the NCAA “prior to January 2021”) I’m done with that too. Leaving more time to engage in real stuff. For those concerned about dropping attendance, you ain’t seen nothing yet.

1 Like

I might not be far behind you Ultimate. I was starting to think some of it was I was just getting older and these silly games just don’t mean that much to me. Now I think the entire system is just a distraction from social involvement and political confusion.

There is just too much money involved and I’m getting priced out of everything which makes me dislike it more every day. I’m with you.