Another tough L.A. Times piece on the UCLA game

I’ll admit I enjoyed reading it.

I got pay-walled … I think b/c I read some other articles posted this morning. I wonder if I delete the cookies … that’d probably do it!

1 Like

Here’s an excerpt:

Remember when UCLA won three games in a row, and fans thought maybe the program had turned a corner? Remember when Bruins fans were excited that the team could reach the Rose Bowl game? Remember when Bruins fans thought, while it would be tough to beat Utah, it was certainly possible, and seemed almost likely after the offense began clicking the last three weeks? Remember all of that? Keep that memory, because here is what happened Saturday:

Utah 49, UCLA 3.

That’s not a misprint. Let me run that again for you: Utah 49, UCLA 3. To paraphrase Harry Doyle in “Major League,” “That’s all we got, three lousy points?”

UCLA (4-6 overall, 4-3 Pac-12) had won three consecutive games against average-to-good teams but did not stack up against one of the nation’s best. Now the Bruins’ margin for error in reaching a bowl is zero with games remaining against USC and California.

Their upset bid was effectively over by halftime after quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson committed two of his four turnovers and the UCLA defense reverted to its bad early season habits, surrendering 269 yards and allowing the Utes to go 85 yards for a touchdown in just 46 seconds on their final drive of the half.

Then, on the third play of the third quarter, UCLA safety Stephan Blaylock missed a tackle after Utah tight end Brant Kuithe found an opening in the defense for an easy catch and scurried for a 69-yard touchdown. The Utes led 35-3 and it felt even more lopsided given their defense left no hope for another 32-point comeback a la UCLA’s miracle earlier this season against Washington State.

The Bruins managed a season low for points after entering the game leading the Pac-12 in multiple offensive categories in conference play, averaging 37 points per game.

UCLA was outgained in yardage, 536-269, and couldn’t reliably move the ball on the ground against Utah’s best-in-the-nation run defense. They generated 50 rushing yards, ending their streak of having topped 200 yards in that department at five games. Tailback Joshua Kelley managed 78 rushing yards, averaging 4.1 yards per carry.

3 Likes

I was able to read it, guess I haven’t reach my ‘free articles’ limit on that paper yet.

But a trick I use on the Tribune (I pay them enough money for that tiny paper I get each morning on my driveway each morning), is once I click on an article, I do quick cntl-A (select all) cntl-C (copy), then open wordpad and do a cntl-V (paste).

1 Like

I like the edginess you get from a major newspaper in in a large city, we don’t get that from our Mayberry Times equivalent.

1 Like

That’s a cleaver solution. Thanks for the tip! :smiley:

For the Tribune I just copy the article link and use chrome to open it in Incognito mode

1 Like

Another excellent tip. You could probably curl (or wget) it too. But that’s technojargon :smiley:

They’re getting smarter if you try to delete your cookies, use incognito mode, etc.

If you want a great way to get around it all and can code a bit, use the combination of selenium webdriver (chrome or gecko driver for firefox) and launch a fresh browser instance that way. Works like a charm, but requires a little extra up front effort (to create/launch your class from the IDE).

Holy crap, that worked perfectly. Thanks for the tip!