An apt summary of the Pac12's media situation

PAC 12 network to be bought by Amazon? Hmmmmm.

2 Likes

Makes sense. P12N was bleeding revenue, and if you didn’t have certain cable or satellite service, you didn’t get to watch a lot of the sports. Due to the transitions in traditional TV and satellite, working with someone who offers a streaming platform and Traditional TV will give you more eyes on games. If we are lucky, the combination purchase and broadcast rights contract will close the gap in revenue some of these folks have been fretting about.

1 Like

I would truly dislike this because it would force me (well, not really force, but you know what I mean) to give money to Amazon, an entity I have scrupulously to date did minimal business with.

2 Likes

Amazon already has exclusive rights to Thursday NFL games. Think a LOT of sports is going to go to streaming (the MLS is going to APPLE next year as an example)

3 Likes

Fortunately for me, I don’t watch NFL football. But, I was just getting slightly interested in “kicky-ball” and now it will go behind the wall of a company I also don’t do business with (not for any reason like Amazon). An anecdotal piece of evidence about losing someone who was just getting interested in the sport. Soccer is a sport that could definitely use more of an “open” broadcast to try and grow the sport. I think the NWSL did harm to itself by mostly going behind the Paramount + wall.

All this said, football is not soccer and doesn’t need to grow its fanbase and can get away with putting games behind a wall.

I understand and respect that people can choose to not do business with certain companies for certain reasons. However, I find that people often do this without realizing that they are giving their business to companies that are often equally as bad, or worse.

5 Likes

I get that, and you are most certainly correct. I see it as a matter of degree, big corporations in many ways are just not good citizens. So, like cheering for the Red Sox a tiny bit more when they are playing the Yankees, they are both despisable.

Do I want to watch the PAC12 Network on Comcast instead of Amazon, well, it is a matter of degree as to the â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  of both.

With soccer, I like it a lot and follow Liverpool (as well as Real Salt Lake) For me to watch all the Liverpool games, most of which that I USED to get on regular dish channels I would have to subscribe to Paramount (for Champions league), Peacock (for many of the EPL games), and ESPN+ (for FA matches) and now looking at needing to get Apple TV for RSL matches next season it appears. Additionally many of the World Cup qualifiers for the US team this last round were on Paramount (but could watch on Spanish channels fortunately)

At least the upcoming World Cup is all on Fox and Fox Sports 1.

3 Likes

“Voting how to spend your money” is something people do. I don’t shop at anything Walmart due to the voucher fiasco years ago. When they opened the Walmart Neighborhood Market in town, I attended the ribbon cutting out of obligation, but never went in for the tour of the store. I stopped shopping Overstock for the same reasons.

I could wax on ad infinitum about the oligopolies and interlocking directorates plaguing our economy and erecting barriers to entry for competition; but as I don’t have a solution short of continuing my Hobson’s Choice…

I get and agree with your choice regarding Amazon. If I didn’t have a son working for Amazon, I might think the same.

5 Likes

I completely understand the “voting with my wallet”, respect it.

I think there’s better ways to exert pressure on Corporate America, but it depends on corruption not polluting our politics. Heh.

Henry Ford was a real SOB, but he changed the world. Bezos is better than Musk, but that says almost nothing. The concentrations and widening inequalities are toxins.

I go to Walmart a little, mostly to see a stripe of America. It blows me away that Walmart employees - and a huge portion of the public - actually depend on all that cheap stuff they import from wherever they can squeeze producers to supply for less and less and less.

I’m for regulation and pressure… but I have to have one of those Ford cars, and the horse is getting old.

1 Like

Back on track: Canzano: Pac-12 not buying what Big 12 is selling (johncanzano.com)

It does seem the Big-12’s Yormark is talking out of 3 sides of his mouth, always selling, always positioning. Like the BS rumors of a Big-12 / PAC merger, or the BS about the 4 corners schools.

What a way to manage higher-ed athletics.

Yormarck is starting to sound like that Frat Bro dude who’s got the next best thing in MLM. Perhaps it will work, perhaps not, but sure is getting tiring.

3 Likes
1 Like

D is worse than “horrific.”

I want to make t-shirts that say “Just Be Average!” I’ll be rich.

FTFO!

5 Likes

USC is somewhat like Utah teams of the late 80s. ALL the best athletes were put on offense and some of the game results looked like basketball scores. Once Scott Mitchell broke the NCAA single-game passing mark (at the time) and we lost 56-49 to Air Force. Another time we beat New Mexico 58-49. Ironically coach Jim Fassel later coached the New York Giants who became known for being a great defensive team.

But if Trojans can get some defensive players to go along with their offense, they’ll potentially be national title contenders.

I would take everything he says with a large helping of salt. I’ve known Welby for a long time and even I’m not always sure if he’s got the inside scoop or pulling something out of thin air. He’s a very smart guy with connections but also a penchant for trolling just for laughs.

1 Like

I have read comments in various NCAA articles on The Athletic where Oklahoma fans are looking at USC and basically saying, same old Lincoln Reilly, elite offense, defense that doesn’t measure up.

5 Likes

Ain’t anything new with Riley. Great offense, so so at best defense. I seem to recall mentioning that before the season started. Mostly, I didn’t understand the hype around Riley and USC due to lack of defense at Oklahoma.

4 Likes

U$C and the sports news media are peerless at hyping the Trojans. It’s like BYU–both programs are always “back” before they actually do anything to show they are actually back.

4 Likes