Admit it. We would all take Urban back

Wow, this is just a gem and a little awkward. After your disdain for Scalley, I asked the same question about redemption and you said let someone else deal with it. So your moral compass says Urb is ok as long as he gets us to the Rose Bowl. Wow. More than this one incident (which I agree is being blown up disproportionately), he is just not a great dude. I was a student when he was a coach. Shook his hand. But his big lie and what he did at UF and Ohio St. (beyond the wins)? He’s changed.

3 Likes

I heard enough stuff from players and other people within the football program about Meyer and the way he treats people that I would not want him back.

1 Like

Not awkward at all. First, I have zero disdain for Morgan. I think he should get a HC job someday just not at Utah. We have an unfortunate stigma in this state about race relations (see Utah Jazz fan behavior).

Secondly, I do think it’s much worse for a coach to call one of his players the “N” word then to be at a bar and let some girl dance in front of you. Those are my values and if you disagree and think the “N” word is no biggie - up to you.

As far as his change goes. I believe bigger programs have bigger and different problems. Too much blame for Urban IMO.

And I think Urban would win us a Rose Bowl. Scalley may get us a Holiday Bowl.

You keep saying this like it’s what actually happened.

This wasn’t Urban just being some innocent, passive bystander while a girl was dancing near him. There’s video of him actively groping her.

3 Likes

Where’s that? Haven’t seen it and first I heard of it.

It was in the other Urban thread.

Ok, I get it now. You’re willing to look past things but only if they win us a Rose Bowl. Media/reputation distractions are ok, but only if they win big.

I DO think the usage of the ‘N’ word is a big deal, but context and facts matter, of which you are misrepresenting them. I think Urb’s lap dance and touching should be between him and Shelley. If he was a 4-0 coach, it’d be a nothing sandwich.

Urban brings his OCD and control issues, does have some success, then bails when things go a little sideways. Big pass. We got him at the right point in his career and the right time for us.

2 Likes

I’m going to let you find the contradiction in your 2 statements above. I guess we disagree

Thanks. Yep that there is a full on grope. If I’m Shelley I am pissed off. But I still don’t think it’s a career ending deed.

Sorry, bud, every single person that responded disagrees with you. It’s not about this one incident and if he becomes available (which means Whitt is also leaving or would need to be pushed out). 2004 Urban was great. 2021 Urban is a track record of a very flawed man. He’s had success energizing great teams to become elite and winning NC, but everyone knows what they are going to get with him now.

We agree on this. But ‘Let someone else fight the cause.’ He’ll be lucky to keep his JAX job, but either way, his NFL tenure will likely be short (will be for any JAX, Jets, etc. HC).

My guess is after this gig (whenever it ends), he lays low for a year or 2 and then is back on FOX. Shelley has put up with a lot.

2 Likes

Happens a lot around here.

I realize this is from the outside looking in - so take it for what it’s worth.

I think Urban is a phenomenal coach. I actually really enjoyed his insights when he was part of the ESPN crew breaking down plays, etc.

I absolutely believe in redemption. This shouldn’t be a career killer for the guy. But I also believe that it’s easier to justify redemption when it’s been more than a hot second between the offense and the forgiveness. If Jacksonville keeps him (and I’m not saying he should be fired), then fine. If Jacksonville fires him, I think his next employer should give it just a little time before picking him up.

He’s a good enough coach someone will pick him up. People like winning, and Urban is a winner. I kind of hope Jacksonville just keeps him - I want to see how the Urban to the NFL experiment plays out.

Of course, I also hope he keeps his hands to himself in the future.

1 Like

I’ll have to admit, it was a good ‘poke the bear’ question :).

Of course, it would all have to do with timing anyway. No idea how long Whitt will stick around, but it’s seeming shorter and shorter before he retires (this is just such a tough year). I don’t think we are a big enough program to bring someone like him in to be a consultant. Erickson was a good deal for several years. No way Urb does anything but HC. Will be interesting how it all plays out.

1 Like

I’ve never heard rumors, or stories of similar behavior when Meyer was in SLC. I’ve heard he was a giant pain in the ■■■ to work for and didn’t treat some players very well in 03 and 04 (which is typical for most successful head coaches) but nothing scandalous or over the top. I’d like to think that his behavior is a recent development and that while he was here, he was simply your ideal football coach. I think something would have come out had he done something salacious while as a Ute?

Smartphones came out later. Camera in everyone’s pocket + social media really just a 2010+ thing (and even more just the last couple years with such quick virality). Not saying anything did happen (probably not, everything was upward trajectory) - he was a younger, ambitious coach from Bowling Green focused on changing a culture quickly and winning (little things like all the kick team running all the way to the end zone - few did this, then almost everyone did), parlaying that into a bigger gig (Florida), won 2 NC there but that’s when the panic attacks and health issues started kicking in - effects of his success (and the effort it took to get there). Took some time, did similar at Ohio St. Maybe trusted a few people he shouldn’t have but coaching is a friends network for the most part and you get their inherit their noise if you’re not careful. Slowed down with a TV gig. Couldn’t not try the challenge of the NFL (but with a generally terrible organization which surprises me because of the owner - maybe it’s just the small market). I think when things don’t go to his level of perfectionism, he might have a little self-destructive type behavior and slips like this are more likely. Hall of Fame coach for sure. Definitely leaves his impact in more ways than one.

1 Like

I haven’t commented on this topic as I have tried to sort out my thoughts. On one hand, I think Urban’s behavior is unsavory, but I also think that is a very personal matter for him to resolve with his wife and his family. Who knows if this is a one-time occurrence or has been an ongoing problem.

If you have been around as long as I have, you have undoubtedly seen or been aware of this type of behavior from men in a position of leadership. The difference is these people aren’t in the public spotlight or maybe they exercised more discretion. Maybe I’ve just become jaded with all the shenanigans I’ve seen at business conferences, meetings, or conventions. This stuff catches up with these guys sooner or later.

I’m also bothered with people on social media in general. What kind of person captures these actions on camera and thinks it’s up to them to publish and expose people’s bad acts for all the world? It’s kind of the same mentality of people using social media for body shaming and bullying…you get your kicks out of someone else’s misfortune? I just don’t get it.

All that being said, I don’t invite someone with these unresolved issues into my organization. Just too much risk of things going south.

3 Likes

That’s the rub though. I would guess most people have “unresolved issues” in their life. Most have not had social media covering theirs. And, as you said, this issue really is t a career affecting one.

Meyer is one of the greatest football coaches to ever take the college field. I’m shocked we would turn him away.

You are misunderstanding my take. While this is a personal issue, it is public and does now affect his job. As with this type of behavior in most instances, it doesn’t become an issue until it becomes widely known. Even in the business world, this stuff has a way of getting out, and then we see someone move on to “pursue other opportunities”.

1 Like

I guess I don’t think Florida was in shambles. Or Ohio St for that matter. Both programs have done well. And, as I pointed out before I believe these problems are more institutional in nature and shouldn’t be laid at the feet of the football coach.

That said, nothing I’ve heard would prohibit me from hiring a healthy Majerus back. I also don’t think people didn’t want to come to Utah - Hill thought he had a great hire in Giac - he got it wrong big time and that’s when the job was tough to fill.

Not disagreeing. I just don’t remember that. How many and who are we talking about?