6 months, almost, into this Type 2 diabetes thing and I've learned much

I through this into the food and drink section because of the nature of diabetes.

I’ve learned to pay close attention to my diet. I’m glad that there are no restriction in what I can eat or drink. I do need to watch quantities, and make sure my diet is balanced.

The irony of that statement, is that my nutritionist said the other day that I do need more carbs in my diet. Meaning that I’ve been watching one area of my diet a little to closely, and run into hypoglycemia. Throw that in with getting back into the endurance sport of cycling, means I really need carbs for fuel.

I’ve also learned to be more active. Sounds like a ‘duh, your board name says you like bikes’ type of thing. Sadly I stopped riding for a long while due to another medical condition. One test says that it’s under control, yet my body says otherwise on some days. So, I’ll do my damnedest and ride my bicycle anyway. Maybe enough to get back into racing short races.

I’ve also learned to be more grateful for what I do have. Another, “well, shouldn’t you already be?” Umm, yeah, but being human I sometimes forget.

So anyway, it’s been a roller coaster of emotions, but mostly good. I hope everyone else has the same type of road when you run into the unexpected. Enjoy the ups, because you can only know that they’re ups when you have the downs.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I’ve been a Type 1 diabetic for 49 years. Type 1 and 2 diabetes are quite different but some of the struggles you’re referring to hit home with me as I read your post. DM me if you’d like to chat offline. I’m happy to share my half century of experience with you in ways that will help you, not discourage you.

2 Likes