50 years ago today

Was waiting to see if someone else would post this but old timers may remember that 50 years ago today, the Utah Stars clinched the ABA title over the Kentucky Colonels winning game 7 in the old Salt Palace.

Fans stormed the court and lifted the team onto their shoulders when the game ended.

Players included “Big Z” Zelmo Beaty, Willie Wise, Ron Boone, Red Robbins, Glen Combs, former Ute Merv Jackson, former Cougar Dick Nemelka (who visited our elementary school when I was just 9), and others. Kentucky was led by rookie Dan Issel (who many years later playing with the Denver Nuggets faced the Utah Jazz playing in their first ever playoff series).

I loved the Stars growing up, had bumper stickers stuck to my dresser and wore out a red white and blue basketball.

I’m not old enough to remember the Stars. But I saw this t-shirt and decided to buy it as something unique. I have no idea how authentic it is or isn’t.

1 Like

I remember playing ball on the garage hoop with the old ABA ball.

That is definitely the old logo.

The Stars were before my time too but my high school history teacher was “Jumbo” Jim Eakins. He would occasionally regale us with stories of the ABA/NBA. My favorite part of the class. He joined the Stars later, he was playing in Virginia 50 years ago.

1 Like