4* QB committed

Same high school Mark Sanchez went to

4 Likes

Another report from 247:

5 Likes

I wouldn’t get to excited about any commitment this time of year under no visit corona virus circumstances. As I recall, Utes had a long time firm commitment qb that started at ASU last season.

Sign on the dotted line. Even then portal. . .

Don’t forget Jack Tuttle…well I guess we already have.

1 Like

I agree. Until they are suited up and actually playing, I’m not going to get too excited but any time a 4* commits, it’s good. Could lead to other good recruits taking a look.

1 Like

Right after Tuttle left Huntley was injured. Had he stuck around I’ll bet he would have ended up starting at some point that year. Now he’s 3rd string at IU behind a sophomore to be and a senior to be. He may never see the field at IU.

6 Likes

Yes. It’s a nice diversion on a Utah sports message board to get some positive news about…Utah sports!

3 Likes

I’m super happy Tuttle left. He cleared space for Cam Rising and Jake Bentley. We are in a far better spot.

8 Likes

Does he still have one year of high school left?

Yes, he will be a senior in HS.

1 Like

By all accounts, Tuttle is a great camp QB doing drills and playing 7 man passing games. But when it gets real, he totally falls apart. Same thing has played out at Indiana. They would have to be desperate to put him on the field. Tuttle is Jake Heaps Jr.

3 Likes

I’ve long thought that QB is the toughest position to evaluate. Put another way, the star system is least reliable for QBs. (I think WR is next on that list). This is why schools need to hoard 4-5 star QBs and WRs - so many of them do not pan out.

2 Likes

I actually feel bad for Tuttle as a young guy who everyone thought had such a bright future. He’s had some bitter disappointments. I hope he goes on to have a good life.

2 Likes

I agree, I hope he does well. I’ll admit to being bothered when he left, at least the way he left, in the middle of the season, but I’ve moved on. I don’t think he would have been very good here so the Utes most likely have better QBs in the program right now.

2 Likes

Not only are they hard to evaluate, but it is really hard to take more than 1 per class and if you miss, you are behind.

3 Likes

Yeah, I always wondered how UW, Oregon and USC can sign 2 or 3 4 and 5 star QBs a year. I mean you’ve got to sign at least one but some of those schools commit a lot of scholarships to QBs.

They certainly seem able to do that, but they don’t seem to be in much better situations as several quickly transfer out. With the transfer rule changing, I wonder how many kids will graduate early, play spring ball at one place, see the writing on the wall and try to transfer to another before the season starts. I hoped that the free transfer rule would apply only after a student has completed two full semesters and earned 30 credit hours towards graduation.

Because “I competed for the starting QB job at USC” sounds much better than “I’m the starting QB at Fresno State”

2 Likes

Until they are juniors and 3rd string at USC, then starting at Fresno sounds a lot better.

1 Like