2024 MBB transfer portal

I always feel a warmth in my heart for MAC schools.

Maybe he feels really happy about compensating for disappointing millions of member of his church.

5 Likes

#OldSchoolSmack

3 Likes

Please elaborate. I don’t get the smack.

When Chris Burgess committed to Duke instead of byu-provo, Roger Reid (byu coach at the time) said that Burgess had let down 10 million Mormons.

Roger Reid was a big contributor to the disrespect that you find for byu-provo.

8 Likes

Not an easy guy to like. (Understatement meter is beeping loudly.) BYU gets one of those regularly. Remember Frank Arnold? Reid was worse, I think. Pope was borderline, not a gracious winner or loser—like Arnold. Bronco was just weirdly irritating. In between those types they sometimes have had tolerable guys—LeDell Anderson, Steve Cleveland. Kalani is a true exception.

4 Likes

I’ll never forget the early Majerus years, when Utah & BYU were in the WAC and were traveling partners for basketball.

It became apparent Majerus really, deeply understood what he was doing and the Utes started winning a lot of games. He was a chessmaster. It was fun to listen to Big Rick on the postgame show, when he would talk about the game a little, but would mostly go on big streams of consciousness and make jokes about Utah and Mormons - but more jokes about Catholics - or talk about pretty much anything but hoops.

It was basically put a microphone in front of Rick and hold on… there would be some basketball in there, but it was always a very wide ranging journey of topics that mostly wasn’t basketball.

Then if you listened to BYU’s postgame, Roger Reid nearly always had a bug up his a$$ about the rivalry with Utah, and would suggest BYU softened up the weekend’s opponents for Utah to beat, etc.

It was a very unintentional ongoing dual-channel comedy: Majerus was often joking around and talking philosophy or some obscure aspect of the Jesuits or what Al Maguire did or said that was funny as hell… while Roger Reid was hyper-competitive and hyper-sensitive about keeping up with Utah.

7 Likes

Sounds like the roots to cougarboard.

3 Likes

He can get NIL for things done outside of the U.S. He can go home, do some basketball camps, do some tik tok videos, whatever. As long as a foreign student is not getting paid for work performed in the U.S., they can make money, including NIL.

2 Likes

Frank Arnold was worse than Roger Reid. Reid was unrefined. Bull in a China Shop. Arnold was just nasty. But I did see him once go after one of his own fans in the Marriott Center who was heckling the Utes relentlessly and yell at him to shut up.

2 Likes

so this is what we are doing,
… smart :confused:

2 Likes

It is a close call. Arnold had a darkness to him.

1 Like

Yep, the restrictions are not black & white plus they only apply to those on F-1 visas. I doubt anybody knows precisely what his immigration status is, unless he has shared that publicly.

1 Like

What I’d give for a beautiful/methodical/often boring basketball win by our Utes against a stronger opponent; followed by stream-of-consciousness answers to postgame interviews by our once-in-a-lifetime head coach to questions posed by Marcroft, and fools like Monson and Kinahan.

As a lifelong, UofU basketball fan, who saw games at Einar Nielsen Fieldhouse as a young child as early as '63 or '64, (not sure which- I was very young) I will tell you that those Majerus years were the epitome! However, the success of the program was always very close to those Majerus years, with the exception of many/most of the last 20 years.

4 Likes

The athletic departments’ massive-scale mismanagement of DI sports has been criminally negligent. Allowing the networks, who only care about this and next year’s profits, to destroy a beloved institution and failing to enforce any NIL rules.

Goes to show you that people with physical education and sociology degrees are incapable of competently running a business.

5 Likes

It’s a travesty.

3 Likes

dont forget the NCAA. It has huge culpability too

4 Likes

Everything changes. As I have mentioned in a previous post, college athletics looks different than it did in the late 19th century, different than it did in the 1970s, etc. I would argue that nothing has been destroyed. This is simply the next version. I look forward to what it becomes, honestly. It’s exciting.

1 Like

This is really the biggest change of all. BYU now has a money faucet to pay top coaches a competitive salary, when in the past, that certainly hamstrung them. Here on this board in the old days we would joke about the Couger Club and the pennies that were donated.

1 Like

Yeah, Ryan Smith is pumping a lot of money into byu basketball. If the program is no better in four years is he going to keep doing that?