2023 March Madness Thread

Meh. We can’t have nice things.

1 Like

That FAU/KState game was fabulous. I thought that Markquis Nowell got a little selfish a couple of times down the stretch and took too long on that last play to advance the ball over mid court, but he’s excellent. The kids from Rat’s Mouth advance.

4 Likes

San Diego State is America’s team now.

The Aztecs did the entire country – well, 49 of the states, at least – a solid Friday night by eliminating top-seeded Alabama and its thick cloud of ick. Rather than cringing at the thought of Nate Oats getting rewarded for his shameless opportunism with a national title, we can enjoy the rest of the NCAA men’s tournament without feeling the need for a shower when it’s over.

“It’s been an unbelievable year,” Oats said after the 71-64 loss. “Everybody is really disappointed in the loss. It ended too soon.”

More like not soon enough.

5 Likes

Gonzaga is simply awful tonight.

3 Likes

It seems like a team that plays an emotional draining game like the Zags did against the Bruins and then has to play a game two days later typically plays poorly. This is my gambling Ted Talk.

2 Likes

Few has achieved freakishly as it is. Eighth straight sweet sixteen, including some final fours and a two. At Gonzaga.

1 Like

During the last few minutes of tonight’s game, I was indeed thinking this is twice now the Zags have had a thrilling emotional win over the Bruins where they have seemed drained of energy in the next matchup.

2 Likes

Fantastic game between SDSU and Creighton. Coming down to the end.

Seeing the likes of Florida Atlantic and San Diego State in the Final 4 makes me long for the days when Utah was good.

3 Likes

The end of the game was uuuuuugly. Sheesh.

That SDS-Creighton game is why I love college basketball. I said to myself during the game, too bad anyone has to lose this game. Two so well-coached teams who played as hard as possible.

Good for Texas’s Timmy Allen. He could have stayed at Utah and been the star and first team Pac 12. Instead, he’s 10 ppg, role player and leading rebounder on a team playing for the Final Four.

Character.

1 Like

I admit I was pulling for UCLA after our season ended. Pulling for the conference… one last time, in their case.

Today I was an SDSU fan.

(Based on what Dutcher said recently about P5 attention, maybe my shifting support reflects a transition? Would be nice to seal some things up.)

4 Likes

A 4, two 5s, and a 9 in the Final Four. Best tournament in memory.

6 Likes

This is what makes this tournament so great. Imagine what the college football playoffs will be lime once expanded. Who knows, maybe a team like Georgia gets upset here and there.

1 Like

OK, more than 24 house later, (son is a GU alum and wife now only roots for GU in the NCAA tourney), so I can finally comment…

GU had a predictable response after a very tough previous game in which they had to fight back from a huge deficit, and barely eked out a win against a decent fUCLA team. (Emphasis on the “f” since they are leaving the PAC.) I might take minor exception with a couple of the early fouls on Gonzaga’s star player, Timme, but in spite of how my son feels emotionally, that was not the reason for the Bulldogs loss.

Connecticut is a very good team. I won’t be betting against them.

2 Likes

Check your keyboard, the “K” and the “M” have switched positions :grin:

2 Likes
2 Likes

Dan Wolken and them love clicks but not facts of the case.

I’m glad the season’s over because the National Media will go away from sensationalizing a criminal proceeding that is more complicated than they want to discuss.

1 Like

March Madness always been one of my favorite sports events of the year as it is so unpredictable and any team can get hot and make a run.

3 Likes

FWIW, I watched a very interesting documentary about Harry Nilsson a year or so back. Great singer. He does all the vocals on that song. He just got a little crazy, drank too much, etc.

2 Likes