2023 Free Agency

Gotta get that money.

Well s***!

The biggest reason we lost steph was NIL money. Utah is soooo far behind its not even funny. This will be a continuing trend until admin address the situation. If I were these kids I’d leave too after I made a name for myself.

Used to be that players would transfer primarily because they weren’t seeing significant court time (certainly not the situation with Lazar) or if they had significant issues getting along with coaches and teammates. But now it’s all about the $$$$$$.

Honest question: What is the admin’s role? I thought if the school was involved they run into Title 9 troubles so the boosters need to run it. I have no idea though.
It does look like Utah BBall is way behind on NIL, not that I have any insider info.

either way I think we’re in trouble if we’re trying to compete financially with UCLA hoops

1 Like

I dont know specifically about basketballl, but on the whole the U is doing pretty good re NIL. The athletic department has 3 employees who job is to connect atheletes with boosters (or whatever the legal limits of involvement are) and to devleop NIL collectives. Cam Rising got a lot of money to come back. Grace McCallum gets a lot of money. Many others get NIL money. I would assume that bb players get money too (if Carlson comes back, I would susptect NIL money is the reason). FWIW

3 Likes

$$$ really starting to have a heavy impact on college sports. One of the players on the LSU women’s hoops team who is a junior was asked if she would now head to the WBNA and she implied she would earn more money returning for her senior season than what she would make turning pro.

The answer isn’t money. The answer is 42. :wink:

Seriously though, the money proliferation will be coming to an end sooner than later. The proliferation of “minor league basketball” and developmental leagues seem to be causing an “off ramp” for players who wan to play, but don’t want to go to college.

That said, with the talent drain coming “March Madness” is only going to get crazier. We may not see a “Blue Bloods” Final 4 for a while - and that’s alright.

3 Likes

That’s more than alright. That’s great.

2 Likes

She’s most likely not even eligible. WNBA requires players to be 22, or to have graduated after 4 years from HA graduation.

1 Like

yep. I read she is not eligible.

1 Like
1 Like

The stanford transfers have to be NIL related. I suspect, but dont know, that Stanford is struggling with how to deal with NIL given its academic prominence.

1 Like

I think they’ve generally ignored NIL unless an athlete does it for themselves but they don’t promote them much. Probable feel that being there is an honor. Kind of like Ivy league, but being D1 and giving sports scholarships, kind of weird in comparison.

1 Like

I don’t know how the other sports are doing. Getting money and being competitive with the rest of the conference are two different things. That has been the issue. When I say not even close I mean not even close and that goes for all the players including BC.

Steph wanted to play in the tournament and get more money. Hard to blame him if that is his goal. It’s a bummer college sports has turned into a bidding war but this is the landscape we are in. Adapt or be left in the dust. It’s getting pretty dusty in SLC

2 Likes

Im am not saying that we do not need to increase NIL money. But relatively, we are not dong so bad. I saw something a month or so ago that we were 3rd or 4th in the conference in NIL money. Curious if you know he much he was getting or could get here, and how much he is getting at UCLA.

Read a story about the Cavender twins at Miami - they released a statement that they are forgoing their 5th year of eligibility to explore new horizons. They had significant endorsements from prominent national companies and were apparently top 10 in NIL earnings.

Notably absent from the article? If they’d graduated.

NIL has ruined college athletics. Just make them professional leagues and let the universities license their names and color schemes and charge them rent to use the facilities. This whole thing is ■■■■■■■ stupid.

5 Likes

One great disservice is that many young people are being offered lots of $$$$$ to participate, switching schools to get a higher offer, and not really focused at all on getting a degree that can provide them with earning potential for their entire lives. A lot of them who are good enough to play at the college level but aren’t at the pro level will likely use up all the years of their eligibility, not have any degree, and earned (and spent) all that NIL $$$$$ and now what do they do?

4 Likes

Top 5 women from what I read. They said they’ve been ‘running their business’ full-time for the last 2 years (reportedly making $2M in 2022). So basically they are influencers, raking it in due to followers, so why need a degree anyway (yikes)? Sounds like one was done playing (the lower scoring one) so the other didn’t want to play without her sister.

2 Likes