2021 PAC12 FB Bowls

Bitchagain is praying like hell we don’t win our way to Pasadena.

They may need to fire Harbaugh before the trip home to Detroit/Ann Arbor.

Didn’t someone say he is a candidate for the U$C job?

6 Likes

Good post all around but you had me at Bitchagain.

3 Likes

CCG Winner goes to Rose (probably against Ohio St. unless Iowa beats UM), loser to the Alamo (probably OU, but could also be Oklahoma St. or Baylor depending on who gets into the CFP and potentially a NY6 bowl).

UCLA or ASU likely the pick for Vegas and Holiday. I don’t know which the Vegas would prefer.

WSU to the Sun, OSU to LA Bowl is my guess. That’s all 6 PAC12 teams that are bowl eligible.

What are the selection rules for Holiday? If the Utes lose the CCG it would suck to have to go the ##### Alamo Bowl. Feels like a kick in the crotch after a hard fought season.

The Alamo bowl is the #2 PAC12 vs #2 BIG12 (CFP participants removed) so it’s a good bowl and matchup. The Vegas bowl is against Big10. Holiday and Sun are vs. ACC and LA is vs. MWC.

Basically, the bowls can pick the team they want as long as no other conference team has more than 1 win more than the team they select.

There is no way we go to a lesser bowl than Alamo. Since we are 8-1 in conference (regular season record is what counts), everyone else (except Oregon) is 6-3 or worse. Therefore, Holiday can’t jump Vegas and Alamo would have to pick us. However, if Oregon loses, they were 7-2 so the Alamo could pick a 6-3 team (I can’t see why they would though).

2 Likes

While San Antonio is nice, the s#!++y thing about Alamo is how hard it is to get there and in B12 country where it’s basically a home game for them. There’s one really obvious solution though, and that’s to win the CCG.

2 Likes

I agree that the loser of the game definitely goes to the Alamo Bowl. There’s no way the Alamo Bowl passes on a ranked Oregon team, even if they could theoretically pick any of the 6-3 teams (WSU, ASU, and UCLA). Oregon beat both of WSU and UCLA plus they didn’t play ASU. Also, Utah is GUARANTEED the Alamo Bowl if they lose because nobody sans Oregon finished within 1 game of Utah’s 8-1 conference record. Plus Utah beat all of WSU, ASU, AND UCLA. The likely opponent in the Alamo Bowl is Oklahoma BTW.

1 Like

Agree, no way Alamo would pass on Oregon. Theoretically possible, but not ever going to happen.

I think after Rose and Alamo, the pecking order won’t matter on who beat who. From the Vegas Bowl down, they can pick any of the 4 remaining teams so it will come down to who will be the most appealing match up for that bowl and location (decided by the bowl). This sometimes defies our ‘logic’ of who is ‘better’. The picking order does not translate to pecking order (any tiebreakers or anything). It comes down to $ as it is an exhibition. So there could be some surprises.

If Oklahoma St. beats Baylor (24-14 in last meeting), I could see them go CFP (if UGA beats Bama), OU goes to the Sugar (Big 12 champ or highest ranked), and Baylor would go to the Alamo bowl (which they might prefer for ticket sales over OU without a coach. Well, er… Bob Stoops).

Big 10 rep for Rose will be Iowa (direct path if they win CCG) or Ohio St. (if Mich wins and goes CFP - most likely scenario).

This is going to sound kinda dumb, but isn’t the PAC 12 overcommitted to bowls? If we are, the pecking order being discussed seems about right. They question is which bowls will end up getting filled by eligible G5’s?

Our 7th Bowl was the Cheez-It/Redbox? bowl but that was cancelled. There were a couple other loose affiliations (1st Responder, Gasparilla, Armed Forces) but they are ESPN bowls that they generally just pull from wherever (more at-large or pick from overflow PAC12, ACC, AAC, Big12, SEC, etc. teams).

There are 82 bowl spots this year and there are 83 eligible teams.

1 Like

Yep the 7th is the San Francisco Bowl (fka Redbox) which is cancelled again this year. The former Copper/Cheez-it*, now “Guaranteed Rate” Bowl in Arizona, no longer has a P12 tie-in.

*not to be confused with the current Cheez-it Bowl in Florida. God I miss the days when corporate sponsors were just subtitles and not the name of bowls themselves.

3 Likes

The likely opponent in the Alamo Bowl is Oklahoma BTW.

[/quote]

If OSU beats Baylor I’m not so sure Oklahoma will be in the Alamo Bowl.
ABig12 championship may just put OSU in the playoffs and I would bet Oklahoma would then be in the NY6.

Jon Wilner paints a picture that’s not pretty. The PAC has some work to do.

OSU looked really flat on Saturday. I was surprised USU was able to handle them the way they did.

The Aggie “worst to first” story has been another great storyline here in the state this season.

To Wilner’s point, the PAC 12 has a lot of work to do to get back to an elite status. One of those steps is winning games you are expected to win. Hopefully the other schools (and Utah) will have a better showing.