2019-2020 Basketball Preseason

From Jon Wilner’s Hotline today. He thinks the PAC-12 has gotten off to a good start:

Strong Start on the Hardwood

We interrupt the stretch run of the football season and all that has to offer (playoff pursuits, pending coaching vacancies and officiating controversies) for a few words on Pac-12 basketball:

The opening week was raging success.

The conference rolled up a 16-1 record, which is even better than it looks because the lone loss was Arizona State’s result against Colorado in China. (It counts as a non-conference game.)

Against teams outside the Pac-12, the collective record is 15-0.

The tally includes a 3-0 mark against Power Six opponents: Arizona over Illinois, Oregon State over Iowa State, and Washington over No. 16 Baylor.

We’re not sure how much wallop the first two results will carry into Selection Sunday, but the Huskies’ come-from-behind victory in Anchorage will undoubtedly resonate.

If you missed the action …

Utah set a major college record for victory margin over a Division I opponent.

Arizona’s freshmen looked good.

Washington’s length looked daunting.

UCLA’s grit looked improved.

Cal and Washington State looked competent.

Nobody looked bad.

And the conference has several prime chances to build on the momentum this week:

Tuesday: Oregon vs. No. 14 Memphis (Portland)
Tuesday: Oregon State vs. Oklahoma (Portland)
Friday: Minnesota at Utah
Saturday: Washington vs. Tennessee (Toronto)

(For a Hotline breakdown of key non-conference games, go here.)

We’ll continue monitoring results on the court, although a pronounced shift in our coverage won’t commence until we clear bowl selection day (Dec. 8). – Jon Wilner

My old neighbors who are huge Gopher fans that I treated them and their spouses to the beat down in the barn last year, told me they are way down this year. I’m hoping for a win, but even if we win, not sure how much weight it will carry if he is correct.

I’d suspect him of sandbagging his team. :wink:

They are down. They were headed to the Sweet 16 last year until their best player (Murphy) rolled an ankle in the round of 32. They return 2 starters, and graduated their 2 best players.

This year so far they haven’t shown any depth. They only play 7 guys, and only play 2 bigs. They better show some depth tonight vs Butler, or the Utes depth, fast pace, and the altitude will cause them problems in SLC.

I was also told their best player went out with an ACL. Looks like Butler didn’t murder them, but it also wasn’t very close.