1975 album of the year nominees

I have been going back this year and listening to debut albums. Today I started to go listen to nominees for Album of the Year. I started with 1975. I am not sure Stevie deserved it. I love Wings though. Anyone want to talk me off this Wings ledge or throw another wrench against Wings and Stevie for Joni, Elton or John Denver?

None of the above.

Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic

or

Nazareth - Hair of the Dog

2 Likes

What a year. Blood on the tracks, physical graffiti, wish you were here, born to run, the basement tapes, horses, Zuma, …

3 Likes

If we are going off the nominated list “Born to Run” and “Blood on the Tracks” would be the two.

3 Likes

Well, those are both candidates for greatest album of all time, so, yeah.

Bowie - Young Americans
Alice Cooper - Welcome to My Nightmare
Jethro Tull - Minstrel in the Gallery

1 Like

Oh man. Anytime you have Bowie with Luther Vandross on background vocals… Yikes. That may have crept into my #1.

Although technically these would have been 1976 nominees. Which they lost to “Love Will Keep Us Together” by Captain & Tennille

Agree 10,000% with you and Sancho. Two of the very best albums ever, esp. BOTT.

2 Likes

Regardless of 1975. It surprises me how much good music, came out of the '70s. I’m not to even start a list. You guys gave a good start for just the latter part of the '70s.

Ok, maybe I will start a list, at least of artists who I enjoy once in awhile:

Jimmy Castor
The Jackson 5
Aretha Franklin
James Brown

Wow, guess I’m on a funk and Motown kick right now.

1 Like

You left out the Temptations, Manhattans, and the Chi-lites.

You left out the OJays and The Four Tops. Or how about the first non-Black act to be signed by Motown, Rare Earth?

1 Like

Dont shoot me: most of the great Motown music was in the 60’s. Dont forget the Supremes, or Smokey Robinson, Marvin Gaye, Isley Bros. And Otis Redding Wilson Pickett and Sam Cooke, although they arent Motown. Neither was Aretha Franklin.

It was just a start of a list.

I’ve got a funk station on Pandora that comes up with some really good music. Some of that music is older, some is newer, but it’s all capable of getting this uncoordinated guy moving a bit.

Even hotter take. Better music came out of Staxx in Memphis and Muscle Shoals studios.

2 Likes