Worst Loss The Utes Have Handed Out

That UCLA game is what made me a huge fan. I was in Jr High at the time. I was at Crossroads mall during that game. There was a crowd of people in a TV/Electronics store watching the game on the TVs. Everyone was cheering as that game went on. I was a casual fan before but watching that game in a crowded TV store and everyone cheering on the Utes, I became a zealot after that.

Some great responses that have brought back some wonderful memories. I’m a little surprised to not see more 54-10.

1 Like

I was at that game. After it was over a Zoob chased our little group and spit on us. We figured we’d be best off to just let him go, but as we were stuck in traffic leaving we saw him walking on the sidewalk, and he heard one of us say, “Hey there’s that guy!” He ran up and spit at us again through the window.

They’re a classy bunch.

4 Likes

That is just a despicable way to behave.

1 Like

I was thinking of a couple. They aren’t anywhere close to as significant as the 2015 Oregon game or as entertaining as the 2011 BYU game. But in 1983 Utah blasted Wyoming 69-14. This was during a time when beating Wyoming was actually a pretty big deal. The game started at like 10 in the morning, if I recall, and was on ABC, a real rarity for Utah football at the time. I believe Utah was up 48-7 at halftime and amassed nearly 700 yards of offense. This all from a team that had an average offense at best. Utah had two games of scoring just seven points that year and was shut out once (by Arizona), so the scoring outburst was a surprise.

Utah also pasted UTEP 82-6 back in 1973. UTEP was horrendous at that time, but still, 82-6!

There are lots of basketball examples of these types of wins. I loved some of the blowouts over New Mexico in the '90s and early 2000s. The Lobos were usually the second best team in the WAC/MWC during this time and had some big wins over Majerus and the Utes. But Utah scored wins like 78-43 (1993), 86-50 (1995 WAC tournament in Albuquerque), 73-43 (in 1999), and 77-47 (at UNM in 2002). There may have been one or two more 30-plus-point wins over the Lobos during this era. It was fun to watch.

2 Likes

This.

6 Likes

The best part of that game was the fake out on the punt return - Boobie Hobbs running it back wide right while all of the defenders are chasing down Covey (who must now be in something like is 5th year in the program, seventh with the mission years). :slight_smile:

The only play I ever remember that I enjoyed as much, was the opening kickoff return, by Scalley, against UNLV, in 2004. I could not find video of that play - please post is anyone has it.

7 Likes

I was at that game. IIRC Steve Odom ran wild.

I was there too.
Playing football by the pine trees endzone because the game was so boring and my Dad didn’t want to leave.

1 Like

Talk about what a difference a year makes, the next season, in the season opener, Utah lost at UTEP 34-7 in Tom Lovat’s debut. Maybe he should have been fired right then and there.

The Penguin.

2 Likes

I agree, The Penguin plus the knee sock wearing spawn were worse.

2 Likes

Oops