Why the late push?

Someone please educate me if i’m way off…but why in the hell did our marketing department wait until a month out to start a Heisman campaign??? This should have been done waaaay earlier in the season. at this point it looks like it’s just a feel good effort to not look like they completely dropped the ball.

Utah hasn’t had a Heisman contender since Alex Smith; to some degree it is probably inexperience. Furthermore, coming into the season lists of Heisman contenders had Zack Moss as a “dark horse” candidate, but Tyler Huntley was nowhere to be seen. No one anticipated the type of growth that Huntley has shown. Combine the lack of experience of the marketing department with the Huntley’s surprise performance and you get the late campaign.

1 Like

He deserves the pub. My greatest concern is possible team distraction away from their objectives.

2 Likes

Why the late push? Well Huntley’s performance really leaped this year and along with it Utah’s performance. It takes a few games to show that and to collect highlights for a promo reel.

4 Likes

Be careful about what you wish for.

Do you think Huntley’s performance would likely be better, the same or worst this year with the pressure of a Heisman campaign saddled on him?

3 Likes

On top of what others have already said, that early season USC loss destroyed his chances. Even if the quarterback field wasn’t such an embarrassment of riches this season, Heisman contenders typically get pushed to the back once their team loses. Had he been a leading name early on, things might be a bit different, but Huntley came out of left field.

1 Like

It would be nice if he got a nod. Regardless, he goes down as one of the top 3-5 QBs to ever play at Utah. He is the heart and soul of this team, no doubt.

3 Likes

I agree. I don’t think the campaign is seriously going to push him over the top to be a serious candidate. His efficiency is great, but he hasn’t put up big volume numbers that voters seem to like more.

But I think the campaign is the right thing to do. It shows loyalty and confidence in him by athletic dept leadership, and it is free publicity for Utah, which could help solidify our role as a playoff contender.

1 Like

that was exactly how I saw it. more self serving than actually making the effort.

1 Like